Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Friedrich95
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: techsupport

Veeam Backup Management Server from VM to phisycal

Post by Friedrich95 »

Hello there, were trying to adjust our Backup environment, i will first list our current environment:
-Veeam Backup and Replication 9.0.0.1715.
-VMware Cluster with 4 ESX-Hosts and about 60 VMs (different VMs with different VLANs and different operating systems), on a HP Switch Cluster (with 4*NICs as a Trunk).
-one VM as Veeam Backup Server.
-4 VMs as Backup Proxies, each Backup Proxy bound to a specific host (via EnableSameHostHotaddMode), each Proxy backs up only the VMs on it's current Host via Hotadd.
-the mentioned 4 Proxies are also a guest interaction proxies (they are not bound to a specific Host because we it's unclear hot to do it).
-Synology NAS as a CIFS share Backup repository with the Veeam Backup Server as Gateway.
-one Backup Plan for all VMs (VMware Cluster) with the 4 Backup Proxies, Backup mode is incremental with active full on Friday, application aware processing is enabled with the same 4 Backup Proxies.

what we are trying to achieve is to swap the the Backup management Server and the with Storage a powerful physical one:
-1x Xeon Silver 4110 8x2,1GHz, 32GB RAM.
-2x LAN 10Gbit RJ45 onBoard.
-2x LAN 10Gbit SFP+ FC SR.
-14x 2,4TB SAS3 10k as RAID5 as Backup repository.
-LTO 8 Drive for Tape Backup.

i want your recommendations and best practice advises to improve the Backup performance, and i want to know if the guest interaction proxies bound applicable.
thanks in advanced.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Backup Management Server from VM to phisycal

Post by PTide »

Hi,
i want your recommendations and best practice advises to improve the Backup performance
Since we don't have much info about your current setup and backup performance, we can provide only general recommendations:
Veeam Backup and Replication 9.0.0.1715.
First of all, I would start with upgrading to the most recent version of VBR.
-2x LAN 10Gbit RJ45 onBoard.
-2x LAN 10Gbit SFP+ FC SR.
Depending on the amount of virtual disks in the backup jobs, and VM datastore connection type, you might want to consider switching to either direct-SAN or Network mode (works good on 10Gb).

This "The best practices" guide is also worth checking.

Thanks