PowerShell script exchange
raymix
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Raimonds Virtoss

PowerShell and Tape GFS

Post by raymix »

Hi folks

Is it possible to determine what the next tape schedule will be - either weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly?
We have tape naming convention like below:
VB001WL5 - weekly
VB001ML5 - monthly
VB001QL5 - quarterly
VB001YL5 - yearly

I know I could have just have generic naming scheme and let Veeam pull Free tapes automatically, but we got our reasons for adding each tape to its own GFS group (under advanced tab).
I am writing a script that will email us about what tapes should go offsite to safe and which tapes should come back up, depending on what the next schedule is. I can probably hack something together, but before I waste too much time on creating script that can tell what the first sunday of a month is, I am hoping there's an easier, perhaps even built-in, way to do this?

edit: to give you a better idea - I am new to Veeam, this is a fresh install. This weekend is 4th weekend we run tape backup and I don't even know whether it's going to be a weekly or monthly backup.

Thanks
raymix
Influencer

Re: PowerShell and Tape GFS

Post by raymix »

Ok, let me rephrase the question, perphaps.

If I set up Weekly, monthly and yearly GFS at the same exact time, what's going to happen? Is it:
a) Going to skip weekly in favor of monthly
b) Going to write weekly and then immediately write monthly tape?

We are moving away from DPM and scheduling in Veeam confuses the living hell out of me :)
I had a pretty cool PowerShell script running on DPM that would email me after tapes has finished writing telling us what tapes goes to safe and which tapes comes back up (ie expired). I am trying to do something similar for Veeam now.
raymix
Influencer

Post by raymix »

Sorry, can't edit my post for some reason, but it looks like correct answer is leaning towards option a)
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
If the schedule for backup periods overlap, only the backup for the media set with the longest retention will be archived. For example, if "the first Sunday of January" is the date for the monthly, the quarterly and the yearly backup, only the yearly backup will be stored, and the monthly and the quarterly backups will be skipped.
This quote only mentions M, Q and Y, does the same applies to weekly schedule?
ie. if I run weekly tape job on Sundays and monthly tape job on first Sunday of month, will weekly tape backup be skipped in favor of monthly backup?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it will. Thanks.