Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
wjching
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ching Wen Jun

SAP Hana running on RHEL 7.4

Post by wjching »

Hi All,

I have a customer who is interested in testing Backup/Archiving with Veeam Backup Software via Agent for LINUX.

The Customer has a RHEL 7.2/7.4 Server, installed as bare metal with SAP HANA running on top of it.

Any idea if I could run scripts to have consistent backup of its database ?

Also is scripting supported for VEEAM to perform pre/post thawing of database for SAP HANA for bare metal RHEL servers?

For effective use of Agent's would there be any requirements in terms of how much Compute and RAM resources must be allocated to run backups?

Appreciate the help ! As always, Thanks in advance guys :)

Regards,
Wen Jun.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion or advice :D

Regards,
Wen Jun
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: SAP Hana running on RHEL 7.4

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Any idea if I could run scripts to have consistent backup of its database ?
Yes, you can use scripts to ensure HANA database consistency. Here is an example of scripts used with VMs, you might need to adjust them for usage on physical machines.
Also is scripting supported for VEEAM to perform pre/post thawing of database for SAP HANA for bare metal RHEL servers?
Yes, VAL supports pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts with Server edition license installed.
For effective use of Agent's would there be any requirements in terms of how much compute and RAM resources must be allocated to run backups?
There is no specific requirement. Generally speaking, if your system meets minimum requirements listed in the User Guide, that should be enough. With large volumes of data a more significant amount of RAM might be required, however those cases are quite rare.

Thanks
wjching
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ching Wen Jun

Post by wjching »

Hi PTide,

Thanks for the detailed answers, i suppose the following should be enough for me to get things started, however I am just curious tough. How would Veeam be able to validate if the script which I have come up with would be able to get the job done ? Or is this solely the responsibility of the end user or SAP themselves ?

Thanks !

Regards,
Wen Jun.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion or advice :D

Regards,
Wen Jun
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Scripts should return "0" (zero) to indicate success.

Thanks