Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BHaynie
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Blake haynie

Feature Request: File/Folder Level Backup VMware

Post by BHaynie »

I may not be in the right place or this may have already been asked but I don't see a way to just backup a folder/file directly from a VM. I know the Agent has the capability to preform this function but it would be nice if the VM side also was able to do this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Feature Request: File/Folder Level Backup VMware

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Blake. Have you considered using VM Guest OS File Exclusion functionality in the Include only mode? Thanks.
BHaynie
Novice

Post by BHaynie »

Well I guess that could work but then you would have to exclude but that folder\file.

For compliance reasons we periodically need to archive off a few particular folders to tape and send that tape off site. Right now I have to do a full backup and then restore the folders to another directory and then I can copy them to another location.

Not ideal to do since this could be accomplished by just starting a new job and backing up that location only, just like the agent can do.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

BHaynie wrote:For compliance reasons we periodically need to archive off a few particular folders to tape and send that tape off site.
This seems like something our File to Tape jobs are designed to do?
BHaynie
Novice

Post by BHaynie »

Yes I would do the file to tape job but what I am asking is to be able to do a folder backup directly from the Veeam B&R server rather than have to mount the backups and pull the files\folders out.

The Agent for Windows servers allows me to specify the entire drive or I can choose a single folder to backup. That should be a functional part of the Veeam as well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I am not sure I follow you here? File to Tape job does backup directly from the source server, without having to mount the backups and pull the files/folders out.