Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
siyanor
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ahmad Jamali

Tape Job Recommendation

Post by siyanor »

Hi there,

In our environment I have around 10 Back up jobs which runs daily as incremental and full active on last Friday of the month.Each backup has a daily and monthly tape linked to it.Issues which I am facing (sometimes) is that when the back job finishes each tape jobs tries to gain access to tape library and even though jobs are getting finished successfully ,sometimes I receive a warning mentioning a job could not eject the tape from drive as it is locked.

I went through best practices articles for tape jobs and it seems my configuration is fine.I would like to know if there is a way (script or something ) to let the tape job check if new backup files are available to be copies in tape job and then accordingly I can manage at what time the tape job will run.

Regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape Job Recommendation

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ahmad,
job could not eject the tape from drive as it is locked
Do you see multiple tape jobs running in parallel when this warning occurs? Thanks.
siyanor
Influencer

Post by siyanor »

Hi Dima,
Yes,Sometimes it shows multiple jobs are in queue.We have a single tape drive.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

In such case this behavior is expected (basically one tape was removed by the running job while second job was expecting the mentioned tape). You can either schedule tape jobs to run one after another or create single big tape job instead of several small ones. Cheers!
siyanor
Influencer

Post by siyanor »

Good Idea but the thing is i have monthly backup (which creates active full backup ) if i link tape jobs together I am afraid maybe it will fail,for restoration from tape ,Will linking tape jobs together will be more time consuming?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

You can use Start after this job type of schedule to chain one backup to tape job to start after another. This should set a line on tape jobs and they would not interfere with each other. Cheers!