Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
MIGINC
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Max Parsons

Application Aware Processing - How it works with AHV

Post by MIGINC »

We are currently testing AHV support and are wondering how the application aware processing works in integration with the Nutanix guest tools,\ via the Veeam agent?

Is there a way of telling if the process is successful via the backup job, or telling if the backup file is crash consistent vs application aware?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Application Aware Processing - How it works with AHV

Post by Gostev »

I was strolling through the release documentation and noticed that Release Notes had a section regarding this (did not read carefully myself so not sure if it answers your question). I can summon the PM to this thread in case it does not, just let me know. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We are currently testing AHV support and are wondering how the application aware processing works in integration with the Nutanix guest tools,\ via the Veeam agent?
By default, we try to create application consistent snapshot, using native AHV means. It has number of limitations that are explained in details here.
Is there a way of telling if the process is successful via the backup job, or telling if the backup file is crash consistent vs application aware?
Currently, not - you can only check status of corresponding event in AHV console (whether native application consistent snapshot was created successfully or not). This has been tracked as feature request for the next product version.

Thanks.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Post by Luca82 »

Sorry I don't understand well...
In vmware, veeam uses the AAIP, while in AHV not.... therefore I assume that the consistency in AHV is similar to the use of vmware tools quiescence without AAIP...is it correct?
ericschott
Product Manager
Liked: 92 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Post by ericschott »

It is similar to VMware tools - the document v.Erimin posted has details. Veeam provides with the AHV licenses, Veeam Agent licenses for use in VMs that require additional features beyond what Nutanix provides with the VSS. These agent licenses should be used for the VMs that require more capabilities.