Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
CatSpirent
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Caterine Kieffer

Free linux agent email backup failures

Post by CatSpirent »

Is there a way to configure or turn on email notification for backup failures for the free version of the Linux agent?

Foolish me, I changed my server's password a few days ago. I saw the cron job emails for the start of the backups but being distracted with other tasks only vaguely registered that I did not receive the successful backup emails.
Today I followed up and in logging into the few clients, saw the failures in the veeamconfig ui.

The server UI consolidated window just shows a status, last result which showed success since agent failed to log in, and a next run which was accurate.
The old version of the agent in the server details doesn't even give a date/time though I am rectifying upgrading to the new version which will rectify that as the last line does give a date.

I wonder how I can configure the client to email me if the backup fails so I have something to wrap my brain around that I really should look into a failure as I would have an email notifying me.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Free linux agent email backup failures

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I need to ask you for a clarification on some of the statements above:
Foolish me, I changed my server's password a few days ago
Did you change root password or some other user's?
The server UI consolidated window just shows a status, last result which showed success since agent failed to log in, and a next run which was accurate.
Do you mean that there was in fact a failed session however it was not reflected in the UI?
The old version of the agent in the server details doesn't even give a date/time though I am rectifying upgrading to the new version which will rectify that as the last line does give a date.
Would you elaborate on that, please? What "server details" are you referring to?

Do the agents use VBR repo as a target, or some other repository?

Thanks
CatSpirent
Enthusiast

Post by CatSpirent »

Did you change root password or some other user's?
I changed the administrator password of the VEEAM server
Do you mean that there was in fact a failed session however it was not reflected in the UI?
On the VEEAM server yes, I gather because the client couldn't communicate to it due to the changed password.

Regarding the version, the client version had been 1.0. The details information for the agent backup on the server does not reflect date or time that I noticed anywhere.
When I upgraded the clients Agent version to 2.0 I saw that the very last line of the details did reflect a date and time when it completed.
eg: Processing finished at 2018-08-01 03:11:57 EDT

The agents do use the VEEAM server for their repository. Destination = Veeam Backup & Replication
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Ok, now I got it. The only way to do that would be to schedule a script in crontab to run on a regualr basis and check if there are any failed jobs. Please check this thread for examples how to configure email reporting on the client.
Regarding the version, the client version had been 1.0. The details information for the agent backup on the server does not reflect date or time that I noticed anywhere.
When I upgraded the clients Agent version to 2.0 I saw that the very last line of the details did reflect a date and time when it completed.
eg: Processing finished at 2018-08-01 03:11:57 EDT
Ok, got it. Does that work for you or you'd like to propose some changes to the design?

Thanks
CatSpirent
Enthusiast

Post by CatSpirent »

I am satisfied. I will look at the post you indicated so I can set up a cron job to notify me specifically of failures, thank you.
I am glad 2.0 update does now put a completed date and time in the log, it helps.