janezk
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Janez K

SQL AA Transaction Log network or VIX?

Post by janezk »

Hi,

Just want to clarify a few things:
When testing in SQL AA job Guest Processing configuration (Guest credential Test) everything is OK, but transaction logs ar processed over VIX (and this is slower). As far as I could find out, the default method is over network and VIX as althernative, and not much else is written. To be sure, I even created a registry key on guest interaction proxy. (InverseVssProtocolOrder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication)
Could be there any other reason why processing is not done via network?

What are expected speeds ( over the thumb) - two proxy servers with 10Gb ethernet and FC attached storage EMC DD
Currently the bottleneck is: Guest connection (VIX) with speeds that vary from 2KB/s - 700KB/s - mostly around 30KB/s?

Here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95: is stated:
"... Transaction logs can be shipped in the following ways:
If it is possible to establish a direct connection between the VM guest OS and backup repository, log files will be shipped directly from the VM guest OS to the backup repository. This is the optimal method, as it does not involve additional resources and puts less load on the VM guest OS. "
-Is this meant direct connection from SQL server Win VM to BR without any other Veeam component involved?
-In what scenario this would be possible?
-How could you expose a BR and with what credentials?

Thank's for your answers

BR Janez
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: SQL AA Transaction Log network or VIX?

Post by Mike Resseler »

It means that the data moves from the SQL server directly to the repository.
That scenario would be possible if the SQL server and the repository server are located in the same network and the repository server can connect to that SQL server with the delivered credentials

Hope it helps
janezk
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Janez K

Post by janezk »

Hi Mike,
I think that with your answers, you didn't clarify my questions and I'm not sure I understand what you meant:
Mike Resseler wrote: ...That scenario would be possible if the SQL server and the repository server are located in the same network...
Is it really necessary that are both in the same network? Or It can be differetnt networks with open ports between?
Mike Resseler wrote: ...and the repository server can connect to that SQL server with the delivered credentials
How would be possible that a repository server acts as an initiator? I presume, that the initiator would be a Veeam process deployed inside an SQL VM, that maks the connection to BR?
Delivered credentials are obisously that in VBR, otherwise AA processing would not be possible?!?

BR Janez
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

If the ports are open, it should work. What I mean with the same network, can the SQL server and the log shipping server talk to each other over the network. If they can, they will use the network.

For your second question: It is actually the log shipping server role. But when your repository is a windows server, that server can act as the log shipping server role. At that point in time, Veeam VBR is the one doing the credentials work, but the copying of data between the SQL server and the log shipping server/ proxy is happening direct, without the need of passing the VBR server.

Makes sense?
Mike