Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
MichaelG7
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

Backup Mode for Bare-Metal Recovery

Post by MichaelG7 »

Hello,

could you please help me with the following topic:

I'm going to back up physical workstations with Backup & Replication 9.5. During the job creation I was not sure about the configuration of the Backup mode.

Can Bare-Metal Recovery be performed when backing up computers in the "File level backup" mode with the "Operating system" option selected?

And can Bare-Metal Recovery be performed when using the "Volume level backup" mode and including the system partition path, e.g. C:\?
(I already did some research by myself, and this mode should work according to other forum threads.)

Could you maybe also explain the difference between choosing the "Operating system" option and selecting C:\ in "File" or "Volume" Level Mode?

Best regards,
Michael
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Mode for Bare-Metal Recovery

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michael.
Can Bare-Metal Recovery be performed when backing up computers in the "File level backup" mode with the "Operating system" option selected?
Yes.
And can Bare-Metal Recovery be performed when using the "Volume level backup" mode and including the system partition path, e.g. C:\?
Yes.
Could you maybe also explain the difference between choosing the "Operating system" option and selecting C:\ in "File" or "Volume" Level Mode?
Is absolutely identical options but file level backup give you more flexibility as in addition to operating system you can a data folder from another disk (while volume would still operate on a volume level).
MichaelG7
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

Re: Backup Mode for Bare-Metal Recovery

Post by MichaelG7 »

Thank you for the fast reply!