Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jos van Wordragen

When does retention point cleanup take place with GFS schema

Post by JosvwHLT »

One of our repositories starts to run out of space. I prefer a cleanup being take care of by the retention setings. When do cleanups of monthly retention points take place, whenever a backup copy job runs or does it follow the settings as applied at the monthly backup settings (for example the first Saturday of the Month)? If it follows the monthly backup settings the best option to have a cleanup is adjusting these settings (or is a manullay cleanup a better/safer option)?
Thanks, regards
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: When does retention point cleanup take place with GFS sc

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
New GFS retention will take place after GFS job run. There is no option to force new retention.
Thanks!
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast

Post by JosvwHLT »

Hello Nikita, thanks for replying. So this would mean that if the monthly archive point creation will be scheduled on the 1st. Saturday of the Month the oldest monthly (falling out of the retention settings definition) will be removed on that 1st. Saturday of the Month or will it be deleted as part of the Weekly full retention point creation which runs once a week as part of the GFS schema/job. I'm still not sure to cleanup some retention points manually or adjust the GFS settings to trigger a cleanup.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Outdated monthly should be deleted even if the weekly restore point is created.
Thanks!
JosvwHLT
Enthusiast

Post by JosvwHLT »

I had to manually delete some restore points because they weren't cleaned up by Veeam according to the set retentions. I'll keep an eye on how it progresses, at the moment i'll experience a different outcome from the retention schedule than expected.