Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
aevans@ricoh.com.au
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Evans

Veeam Cloud Connect in Azure using blob storage

Post by aevans@ricoh.com.au »

Hi,

I've inherited a Cloud Connect instance that was built in Azure and currently uses Azure managed disks.
The cost for this disk is significantly more than Azure blob storage and with manged disk we also pay for the entire Azure disks not just for the storage we are consuming.

After doing alot of searching I haven't found a definitive answer as to whether I can present blob storage to the Azure CC VM and use this as a Veeam Backup repository.
If I can then I can move existing backups from the disk repository to the blob repository and then remove the managed disks. This would significantly reduce our costs.

I know there is native integration with blob storage coming in V10 but I'm looking for an immediate alternative to Azure managed disks.
I'm also interested in any thoughts around sizing for the Azure VM, perhaps changing it to a burst VM so we only pay high costs when it's under load not all the time.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam Cloud Connect in Azure using blob storage

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Andrew,

First: Are you a VCSP? In that case I would advise you to apply for the service provider forums.
Second: In update 4 we will bring support for Azure Blob storage as an archive tier. It still will require managed disks as the first landing of the data, which then can be archived afterwards directly to blob storage.
For today, there are methods to bring blob storage as a share/ disk to your repository, however, not having it tested myself, but I have heard that the performance is not always what it is since those solutions or drivers are designed for many small files and our backups are essentially large files
aevans@ricoh.com.au
Influencer
Full Name: Andrew Evans

Post by aevans@ricoh.com.au »

Hi Mike,

Thanks, yes we are will look into applying to service provider forum.
Sounds like I'm best waiting for update 4.

Thankyou.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

To apply to VCSP forums, use User Control Panel (select Cloud & Service Providers group).

If you have the VCSP status, we will approve your request and move your topic there.

Thanks.
networkup
Influencer
Full Name: Adam Wilkinson

Post by networkup »

Mike Resseler wrote: Aug 08, 2018 7:03 am Hi Andrew,

First: Are you a VCSP? In that case I would advise you to apply for the service provider forums.
Second: In update 4 we will bring support for Azure Blob storage as an archive tier. It still will require managed disks as the first landing of the data, which then can be archived afterwards directly to blob storage.
For today, there are methods to bring blob storage as a share/ disk to your repository, however, not having it tested myself, but I have heard that the performance is not always what it is since those solutions or drivers are designed for many small files and our backups are essentially large files
Hi Mike,

Does this part

" In update 4 we will bring support for Azure Blob storage as an archive tier. It still will require managed disks as the first landing of the data, which then can be archived afterwards directly to blob storage. "

Does this mean we need an Azure VM as a windows repository still? Then the data when it is so old is archived off to blob storage?

So we can not have a physical on premise server and directly backup to blob storage with no components in the middle?

Appreciate any help please

Thank you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Does this mean we need an Azure VM as a windows repository still?
No, you don't.
So we can not have a physical on premise server and directly backup to blob storage with no components in the middle?
You can on-prem have SOBR with Archive Tier enabled. In this case sealed backups chains will be moved from it directly to Azure Blob Storage, as they age out.

Thanks!