Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 25 times

Quantum DXi with VDMS

Post by andre.simard »

Hi,

I would like to know how the data is traveling when we do a Backup copy from one DXi to another DXi when we have the Veeam Data Mover Service installed on both Quantum?
Is the data traveling direct from one VDMS to the other VDMS or does it have to pass trough a Veeam proxy server in the middle (Quantum VDMS --> Proxy --> Quantum VDMS)

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Quantum DXi with VDMS

Post by Dima P. »

Hello andre.simard.

Backup copy jobs go from the source repository datamover to the target repository data mover. These run on the repository itself, or - in case of shared folder - on the "gateway server" selected in the backup repository settings.

Cheers!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Quantum DXi with VDMS

Post by Andreas Neufert »

hi Andre,
thanks for the question. In addition to the answer from Dima, let me add that in this situation the data is rehydrated from the quantum dedup engine, you need to calculate with it.

Best practices is to write primary backups to a fast non dedup storages (maybe just a few restore points) and then use backup copy jobs to write into both quantum DXis.

If you keep the setup as is, I recommend enabling compression in the backup copy job and activate uncompress feature on the repository level. This will help to optimize network usage.