Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pasha
Novice
Liked: never

Trying Linux file restore FLR Helper Appliance

Post by pasha »

Hi, I'm new to Veeam so please excuse my ignorance here:

Trying to test file-level restore to a Linux VM. I am able to spin up the FLR Helper Appliance successfully, however, I keep getting prompted for credentials. To make sure there were no issues with credentials or connectivity, I was able to log directly into the appliance and connect successfully to the target VM with the same credentials I put in the GUI. The log files on the appliance aren't giving me any indication of an error when I attempt a restore. Is there somewhere else I can look to see what is going on? Is there something else I can check or something I'm missing?

Thanks very much in advance.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Trying Linux file restore FLR Helper Appliance

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It is not quite clear what went wrong - did you input guest OS credentials in UI but it didn't work? If so then please check if the password authentication via ssh is enabled on the guest OS.

Thanks
pasha
Novice

Post by pasha »

Thank you for responding. Wouldn't being able to ssh to the VM w/ a password, directly from the appliance shell, indicate that password authentication via ssh is enabled on the VM?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Wouldn't being able to ssh to the VM w/ a password, directly from the appliance shell, indicate that password authentication via ssh is enabled on the VM?
Sorry, I missed the part where you explicitly mentioned that you successfully connected from the appliance. So, did I get it right - after you entered the credentials in the UI nothing happens and no errors are shown neither on VBR, nor in the appliance? Are there any failed login attempts messages on the VM where you're attempting to restore the files?

Thanks
pasha
Novice

Post by pasha »

I apologize for lack of clarity:

When I try to restore a file (on a linux VM) from the GUI, I select the root account (with credentials set correctly), and I get an error saying "Unable to establish connection with the vm. check credentials and try again"

When I log onto the FLR appliance, I can ssh (and scp files) to the VM using the same root credentials just fine.

I'm trying to figure out why the GUI is returning the error that it is. The VM nor the FLR appliance are logging any fail attempts when I use the GUI.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Could you confirm that the mount server can actually access the VM via Network, please?
pasha
Novice

Post by pasha »

Yes, I've verified that the mount server/proxy server is able to communicate with the target VM via the NFS ports specified in the parameters for the backup job.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Well, in this case kindly contact the support team directly and post your case ID here.

Thanks
pasha
Novice

Post by pasha »

thanks for your help. Case ID is: 03142140