Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
wdlarg01
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dennis Large

Upcoming project needs support for GPFS

Post by wdlarg01 »

As stated in the subject, we have a need to use VAL to backup servers that use GPFS. These are part of our high performance compute cluster. I can't even test right at the moment, as they need to upgrade to a supported OS level (Currently Centos 5).I did read several related posts, and it seems clustered file systems are a challenge at best.
So, is GPFS on the current roadmap to become supported?
Do I have any other options?
Current system is latest (I think) VBR 9.5.0.156 and would be the latest VAL as well, 2.0.whatever.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Upcoming project needs support for GPFS

Post by PTide »

Hi,
So, is GPFS on the current roadmap to become supported?
Yes, we have plans to add support for file-level backup of file systems that are currently not supported by our snapshot driver. I don't have an ETA for that feature, but we are interested in delivering it as soon as possible.

Thanks
mthalmann
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael

Post by mthalmann »

I am too evaluating Veeam for backing up a GPFS filesystem. Is there any way to use Veeam at all? We do not care about Veeam making a snapshot before backup, we just need to backup the data on a GPFS filesystem.
I tried with the Linux agent and various settings, but did not get it working. For example, "File level backup" errors out when it tries to figure out the mount point. If the data is nfs mounted, it still says "failed to retrieve mount point".
Is there any way to tell the agent to not look for the mount point and do no snapshot?
What is the ETA of GPFS support?
Any other way to get it working in the meantime? Would mounting the filesystem on a Windows machine help?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Is there any way to tell the agent to not look for the mount point and do no snapshot?
Not in the current version (2.0.1.665)
What is the ETA of GPFS support?
It is planned for the next version, which is very likely to ship before the end of this year.

Thank you