Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
esassaman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Sassaman

Exclusions not working on Volume backup?

Post by esassaman »

I'm backing up in Volume level mode, All volumes checked, to a shared folder on my network (synology). Version 2.2.0.589

On https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21 it says that the "temporary files folder, Recycle Bin, Microsoft Windows pagefile, hibernate file" etc. are auto-excluded from volume level backups. Great!

However when I go to "Restore Files" (not volumes) and drill down, I can restore stuff from my recycle bin and c:\windows\temp. They do restore with actual file contents. They are not zero length dummy files or anything like that. So if I have a huge raw capture video file in my trash... that I REALLY do not want to back up... it gets backed up. UGH.

What's going on, why is all the trash in my recycle bin and windows temp folders being backed up?

I really wish I could add more folders to the exclusion list. I have my temp folder actually set (via environment variable) to a different directory. I thought maybe I could stop backing up my temp files by setting my temp directory back to the default c:\windows\temp but it looks like that would be pointless, hm.

No, I don't want to do file level backups, because I need bare metal restore capability.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Exclusions not working on Volume backup?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Eric,
when I go to "Restore Files" (not volumes) and drill down, I can restore stuff from my recycle bin and c:\windows\temp. They do restore with actual file contents. They are not zero length dummy files or anything like that. So if I have a huge raw capture video file in my trash
That does not sound like expected. Please open a case (Control Panel > Support > Technical Support) and share the case ID with me. Thank you in advance.
esassaman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Sassaman

Re: Exclusions not working on Volume backup?

Post by esassaman »

Woops I dropped the ball on this. The problem still exists. I opened a new support case.

Case ID 03338878

Thank you!