Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

[Feature Request] Retry Failed Objects

Post by agrob » 2 people like this post

Good Day

Are there any plans to implement a "retry failed objects" option in case of a failed backup job in VBO?
If i have a VBO Backup job with 700 Users OneDrive to backup and one or two are failed, i just want to retry those failed users the next day. Not running the whole job again.

Thanks
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: [Feature Request] Retry Failed Objects

Post by nielsengelen »

That is a great request and we’ll look into it if this can be added in a future version.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
wpflores
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Wes

Post by wpflores »

I agree with this feature request. This would be very beneficial.
Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Wes!

First: Welcome to our forums!
Second: Noted.
final
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by final »

Isn't this kind of already there if you use "retry failed object processing" of the job scheduler? At least for me, this only retrys the objects which have failed before.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

It does, but when it fails for the 3rd time, in that case the next day it will be a full retry again. So it might be a solution to keep the successful data no matter what. To be discussed with the development teams
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times

Post by andre.simard »

Hi,
Sorry to bring back this 3 years old tread, but any update on that feature request?
Is it planned for a future release?

Thank you
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Andre,

The feature is here, but a bit different. So let's say the backup failed on 2 objects, then we have all the other 698 objects (from the example of OP) and when you run the backup again, it will only need to download the changed items for the 698 objects between the new backup and failed backup. The 2 failed objects obviously are different, there we need to download the data between new backup and previous succeeded backup
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times

Post by andre.simard » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike,

Yes it is running and incremental job, but there is a differentce between retry to backup 2 failed items vs running and incremental job on 700 items, we talk about minutes vs hours of running time.
When the scheduled job failled it is able to do a retry on only the 2 failed items and not all the 700 items.

It would be nice if we do the same thing and restart only the failed item.
A.Rogers
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Alan Rogers

Post by A.Rogers »

+1 to this. How is this nonsense still in the backup logic? We are having seriously performance problems with incremental rescans so a few odd failed items can kill our backups for days.
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

+1 for me as well. i started the feature request exactly to only backup the failed items, not to process all other items as well. so please make an option just to reprocess the failed items. thanks
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 703 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

All, this logic is already there.

1. Retries of failed objects are performed during the main backup job run. VBO immediately (i.e. during the main job run) makes several attempts to process items that failed for processing.

2. If the immediate retries still were not successful, failed items (and only the failed items or items with warnings) will be processed on job retries (the number of which you configure for each backup job). Each job retry only takes items that failed on the previous run (i.e. if the main job is completed with 3 items, retry 1 will process only these 3 items. If retry 1 completes with 2 items success and 1 failed, retry 2 will process the 1 failed item).
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thanks Polina, i guess we all know that. But sometimes the backup admin checks the job status in the morning and then just want to manually restart the failed object. like we can do in vbr... this is what we would like to have in vbo as well. please :) thanks
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Oh, gotcha )
Need more coffee... ))
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

+1. Even in V6 this is still not possible. There's no manual retry, other than waiting for the next automatic retry. But if all those retries fail, there's no way to do it manually other than starting an entire run.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Franc,

Your vote is counted. However, I should note that if non of the automatical retries were successful, typically it means that there's no technical possibility to back up such a failed item and manual retry would hardly be of any help in this case.
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

well, in our case it is. We have just completed our migration and there were issues with permissions on public folders (the veeam backup account didn't have any). So it failed when backing up those public folders. The backup runs at night, so all retries failed also. After fixing the issue it would be nice to do a retry instead of a full run, since even incrementals take quite some time to process all mailboxes, even if there's not much data to be backed up.

Veeam B&R does have this option to retry a job even if automatic retries failed.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

OK, that makes sense. No promises, but I'll make sure to get back to this FR when we get some open dev cycles.

Thanks!
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Thanks!
Amistar
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mathias Schultz

Post by Amistar »

Hey,

so we are now in Version 7 of VBO365 and still no Feature to retry Objects with Errors/Warnings.

Is this gona be changed at some Point of time or what is the Gameplan here?

Greetings
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Mathias and welcome to the Forums!

It may come at some point, but as of now, it's not at the top of our priorities list.

Thanks!
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

Post by AlexL »

+1 from me, since the logic is already there you would think this is more a fairly simple gui feature than a complete overhaul of the product.
Alternatively a retry possibility with powershell would also be fine with me ;-)

On the topic of feature requests, adding a column with the timestamp in the gui logs (bottom right) would be very welcome, same as in VBR, interestingly these timestamps are present when you retrieve them with powershell.
SimonB-GMA
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Simon Buckner

Post by SimonB-GMA »

+1 from me as well. It is really frustrating having to either run a full backup or wait for the daily run to see if a problem has been fixed. A retry failed items would be much appreciated.
mortalfoil
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by mortalfoil »

Would like this as well. Sometimes the failure are time related (for example MS throttling) so we'd like to manually retry after the automatic retries but before the next back interval. Right now I'm forced to do a backup of all objects.