Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cbbs70b
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: FSD

Synthetic full backup vs active full backup

Post by cbbs70b »

All;
Forgive me if this seems like a simple question, but when it comes to backups, which is the preferred method, creating a synthetic full backup, or an active full backup or both? If I'm doing one, do I need to do the other? I'm thinking that if I do one, I don't need to do the other. I'm also thinking that if I do synthetic fulls, I don't need to do the active fulls, plus I can save some bandwidth in the process.
Thanks;
Frank
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Synthetic full backup vs active full backup

Post by nitramd »

@cbbs70b,

Synopsis from Veeam:
"Active full backups are resource-intensive and consume considerable amount of network bandwidth. As an alternative, you can create synthetic full backups. In terms of data, the synthetic full backup is identical to a regular full backup. Synthetic full backup produces a VBK file that contains data of the whole VM."

Have a look at this link for creating synthetic fulls: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Frank, have you used search prior to asking such a simple question? ;) There are plenty of existing discussions on this topic, please take a chance to review them. Feel free to ask for any additional clarifications if required.
cbbs70b
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: FSD

Post by cbbs70b » 1 person likes this post

First off, I'd like to thank both of you for your responses, they were very helpful. And yes, I promise to search first.
Regards;
Frank