Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jcavalear
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Joe Cavalear

Can I replicate a Veeam Proxy server between hosts?

Post by jcavalear »

I have been looking for an answer to this question but I can't seem to find anything relevant. I'm rather new to Veeam and have inherited our Veeam environment.

Our company currently has several remote sites running VMware on hosts using local storage. We run our live environment on Host1 and we use Veeam B & R 9.5 u3 to replicate our guests from one Host1 to Host2 in the case of a hardware failure on Host1.

We recently had a hardware failure on Host1 and were required to fail over to Host2, which all worked according to plan. Our only problem is that we were NOT replicating the vProxy server for this environment. When we failed over to the backup Host we had running VM's but no way to back them up as the vProxy server was on the dead Host. Our only option was to build a new proxy server so we could immediately begin backing up the servers since we have no redundant host with replicas of our servers. This was the way the system was engineered but we're now second guessing this as in addition to dealing with dead Host hardware we now have to also build a proxy server before we can resume backing up our guests.

I am wondering if it's possible to replicate the vProxy server from Host1 to Host2 like we do other VM's? Does the replication job need the proxy server and would it be able to use itself as a proxy server to replicate itself? The more I think about it the more I doubt this scenario will work but I haven't been able to find any documentation.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Can I replicate a Veeam Proxy server between hosts?

Post by foggy »

Hi, it is possible to backup a proxy server, keep in mind a couple of limitations though. Thanks.
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Can I replicate a Veeam Proxy server between hosts?

Post by bdufour »

pretty sure you can do this with transport mode - network.