Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
elliep
Novice
Liked: never

Using SMB

Post by elliep »

When implementing VEEAM do we need to use SMB or is there other ways to deploy it?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Using SMB

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community elliep.

Please clarify what product your are referring to? Thank you in advance.
elliep
Novice

Post by elliep »

Does Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 with VMware vSphere help going to a windows server 2012, 2016, and 2008 R2.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Mentioned servers can be used for Veeam B&R installation and can used as a backup repository. SMB can be used as a backup repository too. Does that answer your question? Thanks.
elliep
Novice

Post by elliep »

Not really. I noticed on our IDS that the VEEAM server was using local credentials trying to reach out to our DC via SMB. I was asking the individual that configured it and he stated it needs SMB outbound because of the documents below. I seen were it stated for deployment, I asked him if we can disable this since everything is deployed already. He stated it deploys agents for each job it does and with windows it needs SMB access. I was wondering is there ways around this where the system does not need SMB outbound access?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ms_servers
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... r=95#guest
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ?ver=95#ad
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

elliep,

Thanks for the clarification. Admin share is required to deliver the Installer service to the client machine. Once it's installed the connection and further upload will be severed by installer service and VBR and not via admin share.
elliep
Novice

Post by elliep »

Would it still be using SMB to start back up jobs? If not do you know of a place of documentation on this?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Would it still be using SMB to start back up jobs?
It's not required for backup but some restore operations (like file level recovery or application item recovery) will require admin share too.
If not do you know of a place of documentation on this?
From the top of my head only this KB article, but I'll ask our technical writers to double check and make the required adjustments to the existing system requirements articles.