Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
heavy
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Thomas Müller

Feature Requests: Role Management (and minor stuff)

Post by heavy »

Hi there,

during a proof-of-concept at a customer a few things came up.

Rights-Management for VBR Console:
- a fine-grained rights management would be nice. The four pre-defined roles are pretty rough
- Right here we have the need for Sharepoint Admins to be able to restore SP-Items, but not machines
- VEM has some options to define what a user can do and what not - but no Sharepoint-integration
- the idea to only install Veeam Sharepoint Explorer for those admins sounds nice but is no real security feature
- also, options to define what VMs (possibly based on Jobs) a Restore Operator can restore would be fanstastic (i know that can be achieved with VEM but still)

Excluding disks from Backup Job:
- rather a design choice than a real feature
- In the exclusion list, VMs are excluded, in the next tab, disks to process are included
- if you want to exclude a single disk (for whatever reason) but include possible future disk that might be added to the VM, you select all but that one disk, which makes the list hardly readable
- pretty confusing for someone who never used this feature (i didn't bother, but had difficulties to explain that matter)

VBR Installer: Check for pending reboot:
- ok this one is really minor
- the installer checks for a pending reboot right before installing after all configuration and options are done
- all those configuration changes are not saved
- annoying but no real showstopper :-)

Regards
Thomas
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Requests: Role Management (and minor stuff)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Thomas.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
a fine-grained rights management would be nice. The four pre-defined roles are pretty rough
Can you please elaborate what roles are missing in your opinion?
also, options to define what VMs (possibly based on Jobs) a Restore Operator can restore would be fanstastic
Noted as potential improvement request for Veeam B&R (since you are aware that his can be achieved via Enterprise Manager).
the installer checks for a pending reboot right before installing after all configuration and options are done
Good one! I'll pass it to our setup team, but please clarify what version your are referring to? Thank you in advance.
heavy
Enthusiast

Post by heavy »

Hi Dima,
Dima P. wrote:Good one! I'll pass it to our setup team, but please clarify what version your are referring to? Thank you in advance.
I noticed that point when installing Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 3a (full ISO)
Dima P. wrote:Can you please elaborate what roles are missing in your opinion?
Something like:
- Restore-Operator (VM-Restore)
- Restore-Operator (Application-Item Restore)
- Restore-Operator (FLR)
If you combine that with a definition on what Backup Jobs a role may use... good stuff.

Imagine a team working with a test lab. These admins should have the option to restore "their" own machines, but no thers (yes i know, Enterprise Manager).
In my case it's now a sharepoint team, that needs to restore application items without bothering the backup admins. Only possible solution right now is that they can restore everything everywhere. Might be troublesome

Ideally i'm thinking of a complete RBAC, something like user XYZ may:
- restore everything vom Backup Job 1
- restore Application Items and Files from Backup Job 6
and may not:
- start and stop Backups
- reschedule Backups

or User ABC may:
- restore files from Backup Job 3
- start Backups for Backup Jobs 3+5
and may not
- stop running BAckups
- reschedule running Backups
- restore anything else

I am well aware that quite a few of those permissions are possible with Enterprise Manager - but not all of them.
And tbh: i like the Console better :-)
heavy
Enthusiast

Post by heavy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Dima,

i have one more :-)

In the Network Traffic Rules Pane an additional field for Comments would be helpful. We are having dozens of branch offices with different connections speeds, which all need to be throttled.

When adding only IP ranges, usability is pretty poor. If you could Name those rules or add a comment (like "20Mbps conenction, don't use more than 10MBps during the day") it would be easier for multiple backup admins not to interfer with each other.

Cheers,
Thomas
heavy
Enthusiast

Post by heavy »

Yet another one: (again very minor)

An additional button to open the log directoryfor each job would be helpful. Maybe even a list, what files were used for a specific run of that job.
I had to check some logs, most often those have some helpful additional information that is not displayed in that graphical "Log-UI". A Link to the log directory in that window would be really nice to have.

Using all my image-editing-skills :-), i imagine something like this:
dbewernick
VeeaMVP
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: David Bewernick

Post by dbewernick »

heavy wrote: Right here we have the need for Sharepoint Admins to be able to restore SP-Items, but not machines
...and
In the Network Traffic Rules Pane an additional field for Comments would be helpful. We are having dozens of branch offices with different connections speeds, which all need to be throttled.
Pretty good topics, and thank you for bringing them up. I guess Dima has opened his scratch book and noted them on the feature request list. :wink: