Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

surebackup and instant recovery

Post by bdufour »

i use surebackup often to test our backups for auditing purposes - works wonderful. ive recently played around with instant recovery - its incredibly slow. understandably so, as we are using a dedup appliance - so i understand that. my question is, considering the bottleneck for surebackup and instant recovery jobs would be the dedup appliance itself in both cases. why do the vms running in the surebackup jobs perform much faster than those running from an instant recovery job? i would assume its different technologies being leveraged.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: surebackup and instant recovery

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Blake,

There are indeed some differences although both use the same underlying technology. In the guide (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 - assuming this is VMware we are talking about) you will see that you might want to leverage a different storage to be able to speed up the IR process
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

Thanks for the reply and information mike - will certainly give it a look. we have replicas of all vms offsite - incase we lose the primary dc of course. also provisioned more SAN storage at the primary dc so we can also replicate some of our more critical vms at the primary dc - to protect at the server level. so we certainly understand - nothing can replace replicas. the dedup alliance is basically for meeting retention regulations. i just wanted to play around with IR - but again replicas will always be our go to.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Are your VMs located on VMware? If so, do you use redirect for disk updates for Instant Recovery? Since SureBackup do use it out of box.
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

yes - vmware. i didnt choose that option and went with the default option of storing on the nfs server. but after reading that article, the next time i test IR i will certainly choose that option and report back on the performance difference.