Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rdixon01
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rick

Third Offsite location for VM in Backup Copy job

Post by rdixon01 »

Does anyone know how a single VM in a backup copy job can be backed up to a third storage device?
I have a Backup job consisting of 14 VM's. This job backs up to on-prem HP 5500 StoreOnce. It's Backup Copy job copies directly to a HP 5500 SO at 2nd location.
I have a need to keep a monthly full backup of a single VM within this job offsite to a third location such as a another HP 5500 SO.
I know this is probably a stretch, but I thought I'd post the question.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Third Offsite location for VM in Backup Copy job

Post by veremin »

- Create new backup copy jo
- Select required VM from infrastructure
- Specify the backup repository holding the primary backup copy restore points as the source

More information regarding backup copy from backup copy can be found here.

Thanks
rdixon01
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rick

Post by rdixon01 »

Thanks. I will give this a try.
mrholm
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mats Holm

[MERGED] VBR backup-copy-copy

Post by mrholm »

Hi
We have 5 central Veeam VBR servers around the world and remote offices (>50). The remote offices have local proxies on site and backups is done locally.
To secure data we do a backup copy from remote offices to central sites and store them on HPE StoreOnce Catalyst and this copies are retained for DR purpose and for long-term storage.

Now a question have come up how to secure the data stored in the central repositories and one thing we discussed is to invest in extra StoreOnce units and have a third copy done. The challange as we see it is that we want the central Veeam VBR servers to be the Proxy/Gateway for the third copy and not use the remote proxies.
The plan is as follows:
For easy understanding I use on VBR server (central-vbr1), one remote Proxy (remote-prox1) and on existing central repository for Catalyst store (central-catalyst1)

1. set up new StoreOnce Catalyst store (in new StoreOnce) with central-vbr1 as Gateway
2. create a new backup copy job that as source only looks in the central repository central-catalyst1 and objects is the backup job that is used for backups in remote office
3. point the new bakcup copy job to the new Catalyst store with central-vbr1 as Gateway and mount server

Will this cretae a new bakcup copy chain in the new StoreOnce based on copied data stored in the existing central repository?

Is there any other way to fix this?

//mats
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: VBR backup-copy-copy

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Mats,

The scenario seems to be correct, that should work.
Please review the existing discussion about the similar topic, you can find a useful link in the post above. Thanks!
mrholm
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mats Holm

Post by mrholm »

Thanks a lot, I'll look into the eb page and give it a try