Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tehinternet
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

Help me understand indexing/search of data written to tape

Post by tehinternet »

Background: I am moving to Veeam from a previous solution where our backup software retained a database of files on backups written directly to tape but due to database size would need to truncate the size of the database or we're be wasting more than a tape just for the indexing DB. Our monthly tape sets are 6 LTO5 tapes. To restore from monthly tape set a year old or younger, the database has the index and would know what's on the tape(s). For restores from more than a year back, we'd have to have the software spend ~4 hours to re-index these tapes to even know what is one them before we could start the restore process.

We are now moving to a hybrid solution where 10-14 days of backups will be on HDD, 14 to 30 days moved offsite on HDD, and then monthly writing of tape for long-term archiving. As for writing the monthly tape, I'm not sure if we should writing File to Tape vs. Backup to Tape. That would be writing the files of things Veeam backs up to tape OR write a new backup directly to tape instead of HDD?

Question: I'm trying to balance which way we go with File to Tape or Backup to Tape based upon what would be involved to track down tapes and knowing what's on them to restore from them. If I load some 3-year old tapes into my tape drives will Veeam quickly be able to index them and know what's one them? Does it matter if it's file to tape or backup to tape methods?

I'm looking to know how to not have to spend 4 hours re indexing millions of files on 6 tapes (backup to tape). Will File to Tape backups of files created by Veeam maybe 20 or 30 have indexing built in with them one imported?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Help me understand indexing/search of data written to ta

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mike,
I'm not sure if we should writing File to Tape vs. Backup to Tape
Backup to tape integrates with primary backup jobs to provide the most intelligent way to write existing backup files to tape. Kindly take a look at these articles to understand the difference - File to tape jobs and Backup to tape jobs.
That would be writing the files of things Veeam backs up to tape OR write a new backup directly to tape instead of HDD?
Backup to tape writes existing backup file and can even create a synthesized full backup on tape from incremental restore point on disk whenever it's required.
I'm trying to balance which way we go with File to Tape or Backup to Tape based upon what would be involved to track down tapes and knowing what's on them to restore from them.
For Veeam backups (and Veeam backup to disk jobs) backup to tape is the best option.
If I load some 3-year old tapes into my tape drives will Veeam quickly be able to index them and know what's one them?
Yes, if the tape was written by Veeam B&R.
Does it matter if it's file to tape or backup to tape methods?
It does not. Both jobs write a special catalog on tape media which is used by Veeam B&R server to identify tape content and provide your desired restore options or granularity.
I'm looking to know how to not have to spend 4 hours re indexing millions of files on 6 tapes (backup to tape)
Indexing indeed might take some time when you are loading written media to a new Veeam B&R server (in such case Veeam B&R knows nothing about tape content, so it have to build local catalog from scratch).
tehinternet
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

Post by tehinternet »

Thank you very much for that information and breaking down each of my ill-thought out questions.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome. Let us know if you still have any questions or need any assistance. Cheers!