Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
iburnell
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian Burnell

GFS Tape Backups

Post by iburnell »

New to Veeam so sorry for basic questions

- If you have a typical 14 day disk retention policy the Monthly Tape backup might include two VBK files - Correct? - so is that not a snapshot in time because that tape will only include the last 14 days of files
- Same deal for a Yearly (or Quarterly Cycle) what is is going to hold?

I've been advised to simply retire the Monthly tapes and setup up a brand new set for 2019 - is that best practise i.e. why can't you recycle the Month one tapes over on Jan 2019
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: GFS Tape Backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ian,

It depends on tape job and source disk job configurations. Backup to tape job can create synthesized full backup if source backup chain is running in forever forward incremental backup mode. However, if source backup job is running with periodic fulls enabled - tape job should write all the backup files to tape. Cheers!
iburnell
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ian Burnell

Re: GFS Tape Backups

Post by iburnell »

Looking at the jobs they are set to forward Incremental and Synthetic full created on a Friday. Nothing set for Active Full Backup if this is what you meant?

Presumably an Active full is a "real" rather than Synthetic backup. But in the Monthly job will only capture the what is in the underlying directory won't it - i.e if you have two weekly .VBK file won't they go onto the tape which is only the last two full backups?