Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
patrickbuller
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Buller

replication bandwidth requirements

Post by patrickbuller »

How can I tell how much data is being pushed across the wire as part of a replication job? Need to know what kind of bandwidth is necessary at colo facility.
Patrick
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: replication bandwidth requirements

Post by Gostev »

I would recommend using network monitor tool. There are plenty of various traffic meters available on the internet (including free), so should be easy to find. Thanks.
patrickbuller
Novice
Full Name: Patrick Buller

Post by patrickbuller »

I'm not interested in how much bandwidth is consumed. I want to know how much total data is actually sent across the wire as part of a single job. Can you tell by looking at any file sizes on the destination server? I've been trying to find something that tell me what the the various Veeam file extensions are (vrb, etc).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

patrickbuller wrote:I'm not interested in how much bandwidth is consumed. I want to know how much total data is actually sent across the wire as part of a single job.
All traffic meters I ever used (before internet became mostly "unlimited") did show this kind of stats.
patrickbuller wrote:Can you tell by looking at any file sizes on the destination server?
Not really, as in addition to actual file size there is overhead (that varies depending on your replication target). More importantly though, because of how our replication works, file produced by incremental run does not map to the content that was transferred over wire during the corresponding run. Instead, this file contains data that was replaced from replica with this new incremental data. So truly, the best way is to use traffic meter.
bc07
Enthusiast
Full Name: Enrico

Post by bc07 »

Also Replication does not compress/deduplicate as the normal backup does. So whatever you have in your backups is not the same amount of data/changes what you would have with replication. You can do replication over T1 it works but it'll take a while depeding on how much data needs to be replicated. Also replication is not forward incremental it is reverse-incremental. You could somewhat estimate the amount of data that will be transfered if you do replication and check the data size of the replica after it. But replication is not just copying data from A to B it also has some overhead with verifying etc.
rabih.arzouni
Novice
Full Name: Rabih

Bandwidth Requirment for replication and backup

Post by rabih.arzouni »

[Merged into existing discussion]

Hi All,

Can you please adivse on the best practices on the bandwidth requirment for replicating and backup VMs over the web and how we go about calculating this. Would it be better to work it out from the number of servers or the total disk size. Also has anyone donw this over a VPN and not over a point to point connection ?.

Many Thanks

Rabih