Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tom.weiner
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tom

Backup job failure

Post by tom.weiner »

I have two VMs that are part of a single backup job. The job has been running successfully, but over the last couple of weeks the backups are failing. When I look at the backup report the Details for the VMs has this error message:

Failed to create VM snapshot. Error: CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef vm-9720, timeout 1800000, snName VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT, snDescription Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup., memory False, quiesce False
Error: fault.SystemError.summary

When I look at the snapshot manager for both of these VMs there are 6 VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOTs listed. I've tried removing the snapshosts, but they don't delete. vCenter indicates they have been deleted, but they still remain in the snapshot manager. Other backup jobs are running fine, it's only isolated to this backup. I ran through the steps from the Veeam KB article regarding this situation, but have been unable to make any progress. Any ideas?
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Backup job failure

Post by bdufour »

if the VM is running on the parent disk and not snapshots. try restarting the VM (if you havent tried that). seemed to work for the OP in the post below...
https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-r ... t4940.html

outside of that, it will likely be a support ticket with VMware i think.

hope it works out!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup job failure

Post by foggy »

Check if there is sufficient space on a datastore and try to create a new snapshot via vSphere client and commit it afterwards.