Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
ROSA
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Wish - a simple tool to recreate missing vbm files

Post by ROSA »

It would be nice if there was a simple tool for recreating a missing VBM file.

There were various scripts here in the forum but they need VBR (and don't work in the latest version of VBR).
I know there is a way importing the backup in VBR but that is not really usable for a home user.
I've tested this method (using VBR) with VAL and VAW and it's complicated and not really reliable.
Export disks doesn't work (VAL case 03155488, VAW case 03138162), BMR from VBR repository works only for VAW, at least for me.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Wish - a simple tool to recreate missing vbm files

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The request seems valid. May I ask you what happened to your .vbm file? Did it get corrupted?

Thanks
ROSA
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Re: Wish - a simple tool to recreate missing vbm files

Post by ROSA »

No, it didn't get corrupted.
From time to time I've copied (by hand, no backup copy job) a full backup (without the corresponding vbm) from the backup chain to another location for "archiving" purposes and now I tried to restore one of them.

PS: As Windows XP is not supported, I found out, that when you connect a HDD with Windows XP as a second disk to a Linux PC (Ubuntu) you can backup Windows XP using VAL simply by backing up only sdb.
So I've used this method to make backups of a couple "important" Windows XP disks before decommissioning.