Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cstaubli
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christian

vSphere 6 and Veeam v9 very slow task execution

Post by cstaubli »

Hi all

We have an issue here with vSphere and VMware backup, which VMware support was not able to track down since weeks. Issue is tasks like reconfigure VM, taking snapshots, remove snapshots and others are taking a lot more time than before. Instead of updating notes with latest backup result in a second, it takes up to 10 minutes to do so. The issue is always pinned to one host, but it is wandering from one to another. Once restarting management agents on ESXi the issue goes away, and has not reappeared on a host which management agents were already restarted. Those hosts were running fine since weeks, and we were not able to pin down starting of this issue with any update or config change.

All hosts affected are on release 3380124 -> ESXi 6.0 Update 1b, Veeam is v9.0.0.902. Hardware is HP, but different models of Gen8 and 9. I am almost sure this has nothing to do with Veeam, but during backup Veeam starts the mosts tasks, so Veeam is the primary victim of this issue.

Has anyone experienced such an issue before, and knows a solution?

Regards, Christian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: vSphere 6 and Veeam v9 very slow task execution

Post by foggy »

Hi Christian, this indeed doesn't seem to be related to Veeam B&R, especially since restarting host management agent helps. So I suggest you to continue investigating with VMware.
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Maybe a networking issue. Be sure to check you vswitches / physical switches for errors are maybe even mtu issues... had that been there :)
brett.hinds
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brett Hinds

Post by brett.hinds »

Hey did you ever find a solution to this issue. I seeing that in my DC where snapshots sometime take 4 to 5hrs to remove with no rime or reason for it.

Brett
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Brett, since the topic is very old, at this time I recommend contacting VMware support directly with this.