Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Surebackup runs out of space...

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

Hi all

I am using the sure backup to test some upgrades to some virtual machines, however, the server where we run Veeam from continually runs out of space as I make big changes to the VM's recovered in Sure backup.

This storage is the local server where we run Veeam from and unfortunately its on the C:\

I have checked the Virtual Lab, and the data store here is pointing to a large data store, on our SAN but when the Virtual Lab starts on the VM hosts it seems to run from the data store of that Veeam serer.

Is there any way I can change the location, even if its just to the D drive of the Veeam server, I just cant seem to see where or if I can..

Thanks

Kev
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Surebackup runs out of space...

Post by bdufour »

Since it’s on c - If the server is 2008 and above u can add space to the c drive like any other drive through the vsphere client and extend it in windows.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

The SureBackup appliance runs, typically, on your hypervisor's primary storage array; as you build your appliance you're asked what (primary) datastore to use.

What type of hypervisor do you use?

Is your B&R console virtual?
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

Yep that's what I thought, and it does, however when the SB Virtual machines start and you look at the data stores mounted it also mounts the c:\ of the Veeam Server as storage on the hypervisor, and then all the writes seem to go here instead of the SAN storage area. We are using VMware.

So when you look at the recovered virtual machines as they run, they have 2 data stores mounted, the one that lives on the SAN and the second one mounted off the Veeam server itself. All the writes seem to go to the Veeam server mounted storage...
heavy
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Thomas Müller

Post by heavy » 1 person likes this post

Since the mounted backup cannot be changed when SureBackup runs, it's considered a snapshot and changes a stored in a delta file. For performance purposes, this should be placed on SSDs (or other fast storage for that matter).
You can change the location in Mount-Server-Tab of the Repository-Properties.

This is why can see two datastores mounted in vSphere.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, when a VM is started from the backup file, its disks are published on the vPower NFS datastore. Depending on how intensively you change data on the VM during SureBackup, it might take considerable space.
kevin_cambs_uk
Enthusiast

Post by kevin_cambs_uk »

Thank you both, this is exactly what I am looking for !

Many many thanks