Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jhammett
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: james hammett

Veeam Agent vs File to Tape Performance

Post by jhammett »

I am primarily using Veeam to backup files and folders, 20 TB drives, to tape and to disk. If I backup a network share to tape, I have good performance, I see a processing rate of 174MB/s and steady data throughput. If I backup this same network share to a Backup Repository, this in now an Agent backup and runs much slower. I am seeing a processing rate of 33 MB/s and the data throughput is shown in bursts of data about 5 minutes apart. My first thought is the data is getting encrypted on the agent backup causing the performance issues. I created a support case with Veeam (Case ID 03140466) and was told the issues was hardware related and "the encryption will not slow down the backup".

Does anyone have a suggestion? Am I going down the wrong path on the encryption? Is there another reason why the agent backup is so much slower than the tape?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Veeam Agent vs File to Tape Performance

Post by Dima P. »

Hello James.
f I backup this same network share to a Backup Repository, this in now an Agent backup and runs much slower
Can you please clarify what backup mode was used for agent backup? Was it file level backup? Thanks.
jhammett
Novice

Post by jhammett »

Yes, this is a file level backup,
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

James,

Is it possible for you to switch backup mode to 'pure' volume level backup? Image level backup is faster because agent operates on volume level and does not deal with every single file individually during backup process.
jhammett
Novice

Post by jhammett »

I changed this to Volume backup and it is moving at a rate of 46 MB/s. This is faster than the file backup but will still take 10 days to backup my 30 TB drive.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Last but not least - check if you have agent throttling enabled (Control Panel > Settings > Throttle Backup Agent when system is busy)?