Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jcavalear
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Joe Cavalear

new replication job not seeding existing restore points

Post by jcavalear »

In my environment we replicate our VMs from Host1 to Host2. Both hosts use local storage and Host2 is our DR in the event of a hardware failure on Host1.

We perform our backups and store our replication meta data to a USB drive attached to a physical server in each site. I have recently been replacing the existing drives with larger capacity drives. For our backup jobs I've simply cloned my existing jobs and done a new Active Full backup and started a new string on the new drive. For our replication jobs I just copied the replicas folder to the new drive and pointed the replication jobs to the new repository and all my replication jobs proceeded normally performing incremental restore points to my existing string.

Now my problem. I have one site where the replication job contains 6 servers all in one job. I've copied the replicas folder from the old USB drive to the new and my original replication job with 6 VMs pointed to the new location for the meta data works fine. My goal is to break out each server into it's own replication job and have the new job just resume the existing string of restore points.

I've tried this twice by enabling Low Connection Bandwidth to enable replication seeding. On the seeding screen I have the "Initial seeding" setting checked and pointing to my repository. I also have the Replica mapping checked and have the Original VM and Replica VM set to the individual server I'm trying to replicate.

In each instance when I run the new replication job the previous string of restore points seems to get deleted and the job starts up a new string of restore points. I am wondering how I create a new job and continue my existing string of restore points for my servers. Up until now my two jobs that reset the string were not critical servers but the remaining 4 servers are more critical and each have 14 restore points. I'm wondering if I can create a new replication job and have the new job continue the string on the existing restore points?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: new replication job not seeding existing restore points

Post by foggy »

In case of replica mapping, existing restore points are removed. Why do you want to break the job into several ones?
jcavalear
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Joe Cavalear

Post by jcavalear »

We had an issue at another remote site where the resources were being taxed when jobs ran. We were thinking if we had more granular control over the individual jobs we could disable an individual server without affecting all the other servers in the job.

If I did this same procedure but unchecked the replica mapping (bottom check box) and only checked the replica seeding (top check box pointing to repository) would this do what I'm looking for?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

In this case new VMs would be registered in VI and restored from the seed (backup stored in the corresponding repository).