Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
karthick.venkatesh
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Karthick Venkatesh

Folder Exclusion on Linux not available

Post by karthick.venkatesh »

Folder Exclusion on Linux is a most basic feature that's available on any backup technology platform, even the newer ones but it doesn't seem to be available on Veeam for Linux for some reason. The objective was to exclude 2 folders from a Linux VM backup on Hyper V. After talking to support I found out that the only way available was to install a standalone agent on Linux and select the folders manually that i wanted to be backed up (hence excluding the folders that i didn't want backed up). It was frustrating to select/deselect it one by one and then be prompted that I had to deselect another - looks like Veeam didn't put any programming logic to highlight the directories that it wanted excluded from the backup in one go, that it wasn't able to backup (tmp or nfs filesystems etc). Anyways this was a non-prod server with lesser filesystems - had this been prod (like I showed support on webex) i would've have had so many to select and then be prompted again and again to deselect which would've been even more frustrating.

I would've been happy if I had to just specify 2 folders that I wanted to exclude somewhere (either on the VBR console or the Agent level) and not select/deselect the many times that I did trying to implement this.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Folder Exclusion on Linux not available

Post by PTide »

Hi,
I would've been happy if I had to just specify 2 folders that I wanted to exclude somewhere (either on the VBR console or the Agent level)<...>
You can specify directory exclusions via CLI on the Agent level:

Code: Select all

[ellen@nostromo ~]$ veeamconfig job create filelevel --help
Veeam Agent for Linux
(c) Veeam Software AG

Usage: veeamconfig job create fileLevel [options] [command]

Commands:
  help, --help, -h   - Short help

Options:
  --name <value>                    - Job name
  <...>
  --indexAll                        - Index all files and directories selected for backup
  --includeDirs <enum>              - Directories to backup, separated by ','
  --excludeDirs <enum>              - Directories to exclude, separated by ','
<...>
Is that what you're looking for?

P.S. There is no directory exclusions on VBR side, indeed, however we plan to add it.

Thank you
psebek
Lurker
Full Name: Pavel Sebek

[MERGED] Option ExcludeDirs and console Backup and Replicati

Post by psebek »

Hi all,

we use veeam backup and replication 9.5 U3a with linux agent 2.0.1
From guide I know that linux agent allows ExcludeDirs in file-level backup. I want to use linux agent in mode manage by backup server. I can't find this option "ExcludeDirs" in wizard of creation backup job (type server, job mode "manage by backup server" and backup mode file-level.

some advice please?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The feature is not presented in VBR console, however we plan to add it.

Thanks
TDS
Lurker
Full Name: M. Martin

Post by TDS »

Hi,

The feature is not presented in VBR console, however we plan to add it.

Thanks
One year is gone. Any news?
Still annoying the e.g. directories with large data can not be excluded.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I am sorry to say that, but it is still required to explicitly specify directories. For instance, if there are /home/user1, /home/user2, /home/user3, and only /home/user2 needs to be backed up, then in VBR wizard you need to specify "/home/user2"

Thanks!
TDS
Lurker
Full Name: M. Martin

Post by TDS »

We are talking about full / volume level backup not file backup. That's the problem.
We have license B&R 9.5 (ESXi) but have a need to backup one linux host seperately. If we can't exclude one directory that backup will be too big for data store. Seems like we have to switch back to Acr*n*s solution.
Sorry.