Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Cloud Storage Size Estimate

Post by mattdwyerva »

I am backing up 500 GB with a small daily change (about 1%). Cad files, photos and pdfs do not seem to compress well (10%). I was hoping for 14 restore points and monthly archives, so that for any directory I could restore files from any day in last 14, or from the 1st of any month. Tried http://rps.dewin.me/ which I think suggests 2TB will do it for year one.

Then I found a blog ( https://blog.iland.com/cloud/veeam-clou ... imization/ ) that says each monthly full is the entire backup size (500 GB), so 12 monthly backups would suck up additional 6 TB.

Are there settings that would allow me to get under 2TB for the first year? Or is that not possible with cloud copies because there are fewer options available (e.g, syn vs active vs incr)?
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Re: Cloud Storage Size Estimate

Post by JHuston » 1 person likes this post

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to keep 14 restore points with 12 monthly copies.

This will take up the additional 6TB like you are thinking, there is no way to get it down in size unless you use some sort of deduplicating and compression device.

We use a NetApp AltaVault to do exactly that. On premise the Veeam monthlies for us are around 550TB. The Altavault dedupes and compresses them down to 33TB before sending that data to the cloud.

In short, you'll need to plan for the full space unless you use some sort of device to dedupe and compress the backups before going out to the cloud. The monthlies are full and separate from each other by design.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

If I understand, that is by design in Cloud Connect, but using VBR to disk, I have a number of options. I don't want 12 copies really, but apparently Cloud Connect only does copies (I now see why the jobs are called Backup Copy). I do want the ability to step back to 12 points in time spaced one month apart. I guess I can do what I want using VBR to disk and then copy the resultant vbk and vib's onto a cloud server like Azure which appears to be substantially cheaper and way less data.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Cloud Connect accepts regular jobs as well, not just Backup Copy jobs.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

Cloud Connect accepts regular jobs as well, not just Backup Copy jobs.
Ah, I see. Then, is the following correct?

1) Cloud Connect repository could be used as a secondary destination for VBR HyperV job, but not for VAW job
2) Cloud Connect repository could be used as a primary destination for VBR HyperV job, but not for VAW job

If those are correct, then given my issues with ReFS, I am still a bit stuck here, since VBR tripled my backup size (thread under HyperV). Also, trying not to think dark thoughts about my cloud vendor who told me that cloud copy was the only way to go. There may be benefits in it, but holy crap the cost skyrockets with cloud copy if GFS plan desired. Details, details.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

You should get to the bottom of the triple size issue, as this is not normal.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

P.S. I see you did already. As per my answer there, best move would be to switch to NTFS for your VMs.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

That's one way to test a backup. Erase all your data and then reformat and then restore :(. I hear you, but disappointed.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva » 1 person likes this post

Looks like
1) Cloud Connect repository could be used as a secondary destination for VBR HyperV job, but not for VAW job
NOT QUITE(?) Only allowed if VBR cloud copy used which is extraordinarily expensive for small biz.
2) Cloud Connect repository could be used as a primary destination for VBR HyperV job, but not for VAW job
CORRECT(?)

Also, in general, REFS is not recommended for use with Veeam, or vice versa. Perhaps that is true of other backup solutions as well, I would not know. To resolve my problems, I was able to reformat the server to NTFS and start all over. Then, the backup using VBR for HyperV was sized "correctly."