Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
luke80
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Luca

Veeam replication remapping and DNS

Post by luke80 »

I wanted to ask for information about the DR replication with veeam. in particular in the replication I will have to activate obviously the remapping of the ip in the destination ip class so that at that point from the main office I will be able to reach the replicated VMs in the other side. how do you behave, however, in these cases relative to DNS? in case of disaster in the main office I will start a temporary DHCP where release as a DNS the ip address of Domain Controller in the new DR side (so the new IP in the DR subnet ip). But the DNS started in the DR office will continue to resolve the names with the old ip (the DNS table in the Domain controller still have again the association server_name with old ip (original ip in the original subnet))... how to solve this problem?

I hope i explained well.

thanks everyone in advance
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam replication remapping and DNS

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Luca and welcome to the community!

In case where VMs in the DR site will get IPs by DHCP, you should update DNS entries after the failover.
However, you can use Re-IP rules to assign a certain IP for the replica VM in the DR subnet, so you can update DNS entries before the failover.
Please review the existing big discussion about Testing Replica, it might give you useful considerations. Thanks!
luke80
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Luca

Post by luke80 »

Thanks DGrinev!

regards
sdelacruz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

[MERGED] Best Practice Windows DNS Server for Veeam Replicat

Post by sdelacruz »

Wanted to know what is the best method of configuring Windows DNS for Veeam Replication.
I have a domain with a DCs and DNS at each site( 5 different sites.) Each site has its own vlan.
We are replicating vms from all sites to our DR site every day without any issues.

My question is how can I configure DNS to have each host name with its production IP as well as having each vm with an DR ip in case I need to failover.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Best Practice Windows DNS Server for Veeam Replication

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sam,

You can configure DNS manually after the failover or make preparations before it with the help of Re-IP rules.
Please review this thread for additional details and useful links. Thanks!
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

Microsoft DNS is dynamic - you should have a DC/DNS server at your DR site where you would fail over too. after failing over and a reip, dns will update accordingly. you can also do it manually, but DNS updates rather fast.