Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Feature request: Tape Infrastructure support

Post by Didi7 »

I plan to use VBO365 on a physical Server to backup O365 to a local repository and be independent from VBR. When will you add Tape Infrastructure support like in VBR to be able to backup repositories to tape?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request: Tape Infrastructure support

Post by Dima P. »

Hey Didi7.

Thanks for you request. May I ask are you looking at tape as a secondary copy or you would like to keep VBO archives for long term retention? Thanks!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hi Dima,

I would like to backup the local repository (with VBO365 contents) to tape as secondary copy (offline copy) for long term retention.

Thanks
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I was thinking about Veeam B&R tape jobs: the problem is file to tape will write the entire VBO backup every time (since it's being modified during every VBO jobs run) but maybe that's not the problem if we are talking about monthly backup.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

I was more thinking about Backup to tape jobs, where you select repositories. Do you mean a backup of a VBO365 instance creates an entire new *.vbk file every day and incrementals do not make sense here?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

VBO stores backup history in a different way, so there is no full or incremental backup.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

I see your point Dima. In this case it really makes more sense to backup O365 into a virtual machine, which is then captured by VBR only backing up those blocks that have been changed. As I plan to use VBO365 for backup of O365 in the near future, I had no idea how backup is stored to the VBO365 repository.

Need to read more of VBO365 in your helpcenter before deciding, which backup solution to use.

If I understand correctly, it would not make sense to create some sort of e.g. *.vbo files (for the first full backup of O365 data in one file) and e.g. *.vbi files (for incremental backups of O365 changes in one file), where only changes gets stored, as dumping O365 from the cloud will not get compared with, what's already in the repository?

Regards,
Didi7
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Didi7,

You're guessing it right. As Dima said, VBO works differently and uses Jet Blue database to store backups, so technically there're no fulls and incrementals. At the same time, you, indeed, can use VBR to protect your VBO VM and send those backups to another location.

Thanks!
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson »

Any plans to add the O365 client to the main B&R console (like the Windows Agent)? Would be nice to have it integrated along with the other agents.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Scott,

Everything is always planned within Veeam, but we need to have the cycles :-). The question to you is, do you really want it into VBR? Do you prefer maybe a portal solution? The reason I ask: Imagine 50.000 users in the VBR console... It would really get overloaded I would say...
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson »

Hi Mike,

That's what the Enterprise manager is for, consolidation of the infrastructure view :)

I like a single pain of glass. And its the first thing that any customer asks when we look at the Veeam O365 console!