Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim S

[Feature Request] Reporting

Post by tsanfilipp »

Just wanted to revisit this again:

There needs to either be integration with VeeamONE or some kind of built in reporting to the program itself.
Are there any plans for this to get included in the future?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Feature Request: Reporting

Post by nielsengelen »

We are currently investigating optins but nothing is final yet. Would Veeam One be your main preference or would the Veeam Availability Console be an option as well for you?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
nickfurnell
Veeam Software
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Nick Furnell

Post by nickfurnell » 1 person likes this post

Hi Niels

From a Service Provider point of view VAC 'should' be the central location for reporting and licensing, especially as VBO365 is targeted at MSPs (see my previous post https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-f ... ml#p291824 ).
From a wider stance, VBO should ideally have enough API integration to allow reporting from any 3rd party tool - if that happens to be VeeamONE then that's also fine. This also doesn't restrict any enhancements to just our VCSP community.

Assuming VeeamONE was used, then this report should be available via the VCSP license (monitoring their own VCC platform), and understand the breakdown of ALL the Repositories and their relationship to each parent organisation aka multi-tenancy options in VBO.
Nick Furnell
Cloud SE UK&I
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Nick.
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

VeeamONE was thrown out there as an option, just because we have it and I would feel it would be easier to implement.
However, I would prefer to have some canned built in reports to the VBO program, for those that don't have VeeamONE. And then the ability to export out the reports.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Tim,

We are not only looking into VeeamONE but also in some other frameworks from Veeam. Since we already have tools that have reporting builtin, I am not so sure if I want to build another reporting engine. But I understand your concern.
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

Just bringing this request back up. What's the latest status of reporting for this program?
On a related note, why is there a report for exported items but not for restored items?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Tim,

Not much additional to report on. Status is still the same. Under research and plans are being made.

For your related note: Not sure what you mean by that? Can you explain?

Thanks
Mike
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

So, based on the user guide, there is a report that is generated after exporting the user mailbox to a .pst file. I've yet to test this, but if true, why is there a report generated for this but not for an actual restore process?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

This is something we need to look into. Today, everything is being logged and you will be able to find the restore, what is restored, who restored and to what location back in the history and restore logs.

But all of these features are noted but I can't give any ETA at this point in time
dimaslan
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Post by dimaslan »

I would like to contribute a +1 vote for this feature. GDPR has a lot of implications and I think one will be for CEOs, CIOs and such to request reporting for any restoration of emails. Many times the backup or sysadmin having full access to everything is not a situation everyone in an organization is comfortable with. I can imagine the CFO of a firm wanting to avoid an admin restoring important emails to a different mailbox for example.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

Dimitris, we do log all actions performed within the explorers and you can get the information via powershell & RESTful API if you want to make custom reports on it. We are always looking to add additional reports so if you have more requests, just let us know.
dimaslan
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Post by dimaslan »

I would imagine all actions are logged, however this does not consist alerting. Many organizations not only have on premise IT that they do not want having access to everything but also have MSPs having access / managing such sensitive information. I do not see how admin access could be limited during restoring specific mailboxes because it should not, however getting an alert whenever items / mailboxes are restored and not only exported would be an interesting feature for many.

Thank you.
tsanfilipp
Enthusiast

Post by tsanfilipp »

I just find it odd that we have reporting for all of these other actions, but none on restores. Backups are important, but I can see in a glance whether a backup was successful or not. A restore is something that I have to actually go and search out in this program.
As for access, just make the app role based, so an admin could access it all, but you could assign certain users access to only a subset of mailboxes. That way, you can get reporting and also know at a glance who might have access to restore which mailboxes.
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim, your requests are noted however we can’t provide an ETA on these features/improvements.