Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
flamb
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

10gb ports on 3 servers, direct connection help

Post by flamb »

Good evening to all guys !

I'm having a headache on how to connect 3 servers to 10 GB without a switch. :roll:

I have 3 HP dl380 GEN9 servers, 2 have esx and 1 has windows server 2016 installed directly (here it should work veeam).

All servers have 10 gb network cards with 2 ports.

I'm trying to connect them to 10 GB but I'm having difficulties, i am attaching a drawing.

could i avoid the different subnets over 10 gb link ? is there a better practice?
https://ibb.co/eE4pf9
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: 10gb ports on 3 servers, direct connection help

Post by bdufour »

you will need a 10gb switch. you will also need diff vlans configured on your switch - management, vmotion, iscsi, ect
flamb
Service Provider

Post by flamb »

but i want use the 10gbe only for backup and replication ...
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

veeam will leverage your virtual infrastructure and its backbone network. so if your host support 10g, get a 10g switch in there and it makes things easier to scale out.
but if this is just a test project or something similar and you want to go the direct connection route - you will need a cross over cable unless your nics support auto-midx and make sure duplex is set correctly on all devices.
RockemSockem
Novice
Full Name: Phil Jochum

Post by RockemSockem »

flamb wrote: could i avoid the different subnets over 10 gb link ? is there a better practice?
The "better practice" is to have a switch.

While technically there is nothing wrong with your implementation, it complicates matters significantly, as you will need more vmk interfaces, more transport rules (or more proxies), and more network segments.

And no, you can't avoid having additional networks in this scenario, because nothing on your 10Gb interfaces would be L2 adjacent. If it's not L2 adjacent (via hardware or software bridging), it's not L3 adjacent.
(That could be considered a gross oversimplification, but this is a backup software forum, not an SDx forum.)
oliverL
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Oliver

Post by oliverL »

flamb wrote:Good evening to all guys !

I'm having a headache on how to connect 3 servers to 10 GB without a switch. :roll:

I have 3 HP dl380 GEN9 servers, 2 have esx and 1 has windows server 2016 installed directly (here it should work veeam).

All servers have 10 gb network cards with 2 ports.

I'm trying to connect them to 10 GB but I'm having difficulties, i am attaching a drawing.

could i avoid the different subnets over 10 gb link ? is there a better practice?
What for difficulties? Is the Ping not reachable? Is it even enabled? Did you configure your vmKernel Interfaces accordingly?

It should be clear, that you can only reach those Interfaces/IPs which are in the same Subnet since you don't have a Router/Switch.
flamb
Service Provider

Post by flamb » 1 person likes this post

Meanwhile, thank you all.
Surely a 10gb switch is the best solution.

I wanted to understand if there were any other configuration methods possible without 10gb switches. :oops:
bdufour
Expert

Post by bdufour »

Hope it works out according to your preference.