Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Linux Agent Backup - Volume based

Post by ASG »

Hi,

I'm using the Linux Agent (Server Lic) to backup one (later multiple, one is the test) Server over a WAN to our local B&R Repo. Agent was deployed and the Job is running managed from the B&R server.

Server is configured to backup indiviudal volumes (as there is a huge data volume I don't want to backup). However the Backup is larger than the source used space.

Since this is a WAN Backup i set High compression and optimization for WAN Target.

I configured /dev/sda1 (vFAT EFI partition /boot/efi with 500MB), /dev/sda2 (ext2 BOOT partition /boot with 485MB) and a LVM-Volume vg-rootfs (ext4 via /dev/mapper path with 200GB).

/ has about 7.2GB used space, the backupjob shows it has read 4GB at 29% - estimating about ~14GB or something like that in total. Process is running since this is a slow link for the initial Full-Backup

/boot and /boot/efi are about 160MB (together) used, the job log stated "Backed up sda 1000.5 MB at 1.4 MB/s" and the vbk was about 450MB.

This looks like it's backup up double the space? Is there anything I configured wrong? Do I have to switch to File-Level Backup? I thought since the agent is installed only used space is backed up?

Thanks!

Edit:
These are physical HPE ProLiant Servers, no virtual machines
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: Linux Agent Backup - Volume based

Post by ASG »

Bump - Really no one?

I'm observing this on another Server, too (with entire computer selected):

/dev/sda1 (vFAT EFI partition /boot/efi with 500MB)
/dev/sda2 (ext2 BOOT partition /boot with 485MB)

Used space together is about 147MB, however while backing up the agent has transferred 250MB. I don't understand this - the Agent does know about the Filesystem?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Linux Agent Backup - Volume based

Post by PTide »

I'm observing this on another Server, too (with entire computer selected):

/dev/sda1 (vFAT EFI partition /boot/efi with 500MB)
/dev/sda2 (ext2 BOOT partition /boot with 485MB)

Used space together is about 147MB, however while backing up the agent has transferred 250MB. I don't understand this - the Agent does know about the Filesystem?
That is expected - VAL can skip unused space only on ext4 and XFS filesystems.

Regarding the first post in this thread - I've replied in the other thread.

Thanks