Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
peyoga
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Why do I have more backup files than the ones I want to keep

Post by peyoga »

Please take a look at the following:

This is my backup configuration:

These are my current backup files generated by Veeam:

Something doesn't add up...

I just want to keep the last 7 backup of files, why do I have so much more than that?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Why do I have more backup files than the ones I want to

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi peyoga,

That's expected behavior, since periodic monthly full has been enabled.
You have two options to achieve what you're after:
1. Turn off periodic active full, so the job will follow Forever Forward Incremental backup mode rules.
2. Switch to weekly active fulls, in this case the job will work in a Forward Incremental backup mode and you will have 14 RPs max. Thanks!
peyoga
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by peyoga » 1 person likes this post

Ok, thanks for the clarification :)
ThomasR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Re

Post by ThomasR »

DGrinev wrote:Hi peyoga,

That's expected behavior, since periodic monthly full has been enabled.
You have two options to achieve what you're after:
1. Turn off periodic active full, so the job will follow Forever Forward Incremental backup mode rules.
2. Switch to weekly active fulls, in this case the job will work in a Forward Incremental backup mode and you will have 14 RPs max. Thanks!
Hi,

why does it work like that though? I would expect with monthly full backups that outdatet restore points get merged with newer ones (just like with forever forward incremental).
The first solution (Turn off periodic active full) is risky because the whole backup chain depends on the first full backup, which could be years old and maybe broken. (since Veeam doesnt have a verification function its even more risky)
The second solution weekly active fulls would result in a lot of writes on the backup destination (for example an external HDD), especially if you have to backup multiple terabytes.
ThomasR
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Re

Post by ThomasR »

I just disabled the active full backup and ran the backup process but it still didnt delete old backups:
https://imgur.com/a/QgfTxjC
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Thomas,

I can see you have a full backup from 22.08 and 4 days of increments, so the increment from the 24.08 will be merged into the full when the backup chain exceeds 5 days of backup files as it states in the retention policy.
ThomasR wrote:I would expect with monthly full backups that outdatet restore points get merged with newer ones (just like with forever forward incremental).
When you enable periodic active full, the merge process becomes disabled. The outdated restore points will be erased only after delivery of new full backup with a number of RPs you've set.
ThomasR wrote:(since Veeam doesnt have a verification function its even more risky)
It's on the roadmap for further versions. Thanks!