Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

Migration Tivoli to Veeam

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Hi everyone.

We are currently moving slowly but surely from IBM Spectrum Protect Server (formerly Tivoli Storage Manager) to Veeam.

So unfortunately our formerly backup administrator used to do archiving with TSM as well so that we have like 4 years of data in the TSM Backups which we need to keep for another 6 years from now due to compliance as you all know.
Restoring the data out of TSM does not include the different file versions. And restoring files from every past day from the last 4 years nobody (restore points) nobody actualy want to, right?
It is possible to export the data including all versions from TSM into an *.exp file which we could import into another Tivoli Server, but that's neither a way to go since we wanna get rid of the TSM.

So ist there another possiblity to get that data out of TSM and into Veeam?

On a Veeam Show somebody told me this summer, that Veeam is developing kinda TSM to Veeam bridge... is this correct or a myth?

Does anyone has another idea?

Regards
Peter
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Migration Tivoli to Veeam

Post by MichaelCade »

I am not aware of a "bridge" function between the two maybe PM can add information here.

There is also no native way of importing other vendor backups to Veeam format. My advice is to speak to your Technical Reseller partners and see who they advise to use, the majority of the time our customers will let the archive age out accordingly but I understand that this may require a license to continue this, something that Veeam does not advocate and the reason why we have the extractor utility available for all to be able to still open our VBK files.

There are many third party companies out there that offer this as a service though.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 290 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Migration Tivoli to Veeam

Post by Regnor »

I neither know a way to transfer/migrate foreign backup files to Veeam.
Most of the time we tell the customer to keep the old equipment for the complete retention period; if there's a need to do a restore they just start the old solution and do restores from there (which rarely happens).
Normally RTO isn't important for long-term backups and about 90% of all restores depend on the last two weeks of backups.