Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Zonker
Lurker
Liked: never

Synchronising local backup to cloud storage (HiDrive)

Post by Zonker »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a bit at my wits' end and I'm hoping maybe it's just severe tunnel vision and I'm missing an obvious solution.
Maybe someone here can help or can throw some ideas around. :)

The scenario:
- Windows 10 Pro machine
- Veeam Agent Free, daily backup to a USB 3.0 drive with default 14-day retention, no active full backups. Encrypted.
- ~25 MBit/s upstream on internet connection via a FritzBox 6490 (that's the cable version which only allows USB 2.0 drives attached for storage).
- Strato HiDrive cloud storage which allows FTP(S), SFTP, WebDAV, SMB/CIFS, rsync and SCP connections (and it's own Dropbox-like sync client).
- Sadly no proper NAS (and can't buy one for the time being), which would probably solve the problem.

Currently I'm trying to figure out a way of syncing up my local backup to the HiDrive storage.
The main problem is that I can't just use something like SyncBack to mirror the local backup to HiDrive, since the full backup file is about 250 GB and gets constantly changed in content AND name due to the merging processes.
So everytime I start a sync job it will transfer the full backup again which takes up to 24 hours with full bandwidth. Backup Job Copy is not available for the the agent (as far as I understand), so that isn't an option, either.

The goal I am aiming for is to run the daily local backup and then at a later point a daily sync job to the cloud storage that only transmits the changes and somehow takes the changing name of the full backup into account.

The only (inferior) option I came up with so far is to use the FritzBox's feature to include the HiDrive storage into its network share, which works like this: files transmitted to the network share get dumped on the attached USB 2.0 storage first, then get uploaded by the box itself to HiDrive. And then just have a weekly mirror from my local backup to the FB's network share and let it run the upload for the next 24 hours. Would work, but is not what I had in mind and would still be kind of slow due to the USB 2.0 bottleneck.

I would be really, really thankful for any (possibly obvious) solutions or ideas. I've been messing around with various backup software solutions and schedules for so long now and thought I finally had something functional and elegant like Veeam Agent and now I'm stuck again... :)

Thanks in advance and a nice Sunday for everybody!
MichaelCade
Veeam Software
Liked: 74 times
Full Name: Michael Cade

Re: Synchronising local backup to cloud storage (HiDrive)

Post by MichaelCade »

I believe this would fall under the note "You cannot currently use Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows to back up data residing on an external hard drive, USB drive or in a network shared folder."

however also the Veeam agent for Windows will also be performing a chain of backups as per - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21 this means that the full backup on day 1 is the most data that needs to be transferred thereafter it will be incremental thus being the changes since the last backup.
Regards,

Michael Cade
Global Technologist
Veeam Software
Email: Michael.Cade@Veeam.com
Twitter: @MichaelCade1