Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Schedule to run 'After this job' ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hello everybody,

I would like to know, if it's possible to schedule a 'Backup to Tape' job with 'After this job', when the source job is a backup job, which was created and scheduled with the Veeam Availability for Nutanix AHV Proxy Appliance and which just appears in the Veeam B&R Console, but is not configurable there but instead configured in the Proxy Appliance?

Or in other words, I would like to schedule a backup job in the Veeam Availability for Nutanix AHV Proxy Appliance to backup VMs (Acropolis Hypervisor, not vSphere oder Hyper-V) to a configured Veeam B&R repository and then configure a B2T-job in the Veeam B&R Console, which runs 'After this job', in this case the B2D-job, which was configured in the Nutanix Proxy Appliance.

Is that possible? I know it's possible, when it's done on VBR with vSphere and Hyper-V as hypervisor, but as the B2T-job is only configurable in the Nutanix Proxy Appliance and the B2T-job is only configurable in VBR, I would like to know it, before deploying the Proxy Appliance later this year.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Kochkin
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Nikolai Kochkin

Re: Schedule to run 'After this job' ...

Post by Kochkin »

Hello Didi7,

"After this job" schedule is not available for Nutanix policies on the VBR side (neither for b2t nor for any other jobs). But you can try "as new backup files appear" schedule option instead.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Hello Kochkin,

that's bad, because I would not like to start the backup as new backup files appear but rather when the complete B2D-job from the Nutanix Proxy-Appliance to a repository is finished, whether it's full or incremental. How is that supposed to be done?

Is it planned to be able to configure B2D-jobs for Nutanix VMs from the VBR console as well, instead of only from the Proxy-Appliance? And why is 'After this job' not possible?

Furthermore, there seems to be only one account (admin) available, that can be used to login to the Proxy-Appliance. Is it planned that additional accounts with other names can be used?

Consider 'After this job' schedule for B2D-jobs from Nutanix Proxy-Appliance as a feature request.

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Lets assume the Nutanix Proxy Appliance creates new *.vbk or new *.vib files on the repository of the VBR Server and a B2T-job monitors the repository and finds new *.vbk or *.vib files and saves them to tape and consequently creates SMTP mails for files written to tape.

So, compared to a B2D-job created in VBR (connected to e.g. a VMware vCenter) with 10 VMs, one SMTP mail is send out. A following B2T-job scheduled with ‚After this job‘ creates another SMTP mail, which is fine. A B2T-job that monitors a repository filled with backups from a Nutanix Proxy Appliance B2D-job could send an unknown number of SMTP mails depending on how fast *.vbk or *.vib files are created by the Nutanix Proxy Appliance and how fast a B2T-job needs to write those files to tape.

In my opinion you should find a quick way, how to send SMTP mails for B2D-jobs from the Nutanix Proxy Appliance to an SMTP server and a way how to make it possible to let B2T-jobs run ‚After this job‘ immediately following finished B2D-jobs from a Nutanix Proxy Appliance.

If a Nutanix Proxy Appliance is able to use a repository of a VBR-server, the above should be possible as well.

There is long way till Nutanix support in Veeam VBR and Veeam Availability for Nutanix for AHV is as mature as VBR for Microsoft Hyper-V or even VMware vSphere.

Any opinion?
DavidReimers
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Reimers

Post by DavidReimers »

Following up on an old post...

Is this functionality now present in version 11? I couldn't find any references in the latest documentation.
I know it doesn't work in v10.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

@DavidReimers
Is this functionality now present in version 11? I couldn't find any references in the latest documentation.
No, it's not there yet. What exactly do you want to accomplish, may I ask? Maybe I could suggest a workaround. For example, Tape jobs can be scheduled to run as new backups appear.

Thanks!
DavidReimers
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Reimers

Post by DavidReimers »

What we want to do is kick off the tape backup job when the AHV job competes. We have per-VM backup files enabled for the repository, so we don't want the tape job kicking off with the 'when new files appear' option as this will start the job before the AHV backup is totally complete.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We will discuss this functionality RnD team.