Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bydesign
Lurker
Liked: never

VEEAM to Synology NAS

Post by bydesign »

Hi All,

I know this isn't best practice but I'm currently backing up my VMs (VMware) onto a Synology NAS using CIFS.
The Synology NAS also acts as a file repository for images and videos (probably not ideal).

The Synology unit is has 10 x 8 TB Enterprise Seagate drives running in RAID 6 + 2 x 240 GB SSD Cache RAID 1 for Read / Write Cache.

I already had 1 SSD break down on me already for some reason and the whole unit is only 3 months old.
Does anyone see any performance boost with SSD cache when running VEEAM backups?

Thanks!
nwbc
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: nwbc

Re: VEEAM to Synology NAS

Post by nwbc »

I can't speak specifically about the performance related with VEEAM, but the Synology Diskstations are quite alright with balancing the load of oncomming write traffic onto multiple disks.

For evaluation pourpose I had a custom VM (not Synology Diskstation) running with that OS and a couple of harddrives passed through and it scaled quite well; being able to write >300MBs onto what was I think 3-4 WD RED drives over a virtual 10g NIC.

Writing lots of small files is a completely different story though, especially in combination with RAID setups. For the most part "continous datastreams" like Veeam Backups will work alright with HDDs.

In the end, there is only one way to check it, let it run without the cache and see if it affects the speed at all (and if it does - to what extend). I can't tell what amount is cached on the SSDs in your config, but either way, the lifespan is sure to be (dramaticaly?) reduced in that setup depending on what SSDs you use.

I assume your Synology has a 10g NIC, what are the current speeds you can acces it anyway per veeam? We do use a 4 drivebay Synology with 1g NICs at the moment and are planning to upgrade it.