Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
kristofpoppe
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Kristof Poppe

v2.0 No support for mapped drives

Post by kristofpoppe »

After a succesfull upgrade to v2 and reading the release notes we see there is no support for symbolic links to mapped drives. :? Key question is now how to write to non-local attached storage from a Office365 backup server ? All suggestions an thoughts are welcome !
billcouper
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bill Couper

Re: v2.0 No support for mapped drives

Post by billcouper » 1 person likes this post

When you add a Backup Repository in VBO365, on the 'Specify location for backup repository' wizard page, select the Backup Proxy and in the Path field type in the UNC path to the storage. This removes the requirement to have a mapped drive.

The caveat is that VBO365 doesn't appear to support credentials for UNC paths, so the computer account of the VBO365 server needs to have permission to the share (if using a non-domain-joined NAS you may be able to get around this by restricting access to the share via IP and enabling full access).
kristofpoppe
Veeam Vanguard

Post by kristofpoppe »

Hi Bill, technically you can enter the UNC path, were you able to configure it like you described ? We keep getting 'validation failed' although we have full access to the UNC from the explorer of the VBO365 server.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Kristof,

Did you got this worked out? It should indeed work if the share is SMB 3.0. If not, let me know

Mike
nicksintros
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Sintros

Post by nicksintros »

I'm also having a problem using a network drive. I can connect fine in explorer but in VBO I try to set the path and I first get a warning that the folder doesn't exist and when I try the option to create it just for kicks it says access denied.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Nick,

First: Welcome to our forums (actually, you are on our forums for a long time already but it is your first post ;-))

Second: Does the VBO computer account has access to that share?
nicksintros
Lurker
Full Name: Nick Sintros

Post by nicksintros »

I just saw the reply about SMB 3.0 right after I posted my question. I'm trying to use a Synology NAS which I can set the minimum SMB version to 2.0 and max to 3.0 which I have done. 3.0 wasn't previously enabled but it still isn't working.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

If the SMB version is 3, and the share has full access for the VBO server (or the proxy depending on what you are using), then please create a support call. It should work unless there is something wrong with the SMB protocol (we have seen this before)

Let us know the case ID and the outcome after investigation of the engineers

Thanks
Mike
kristofpoppe
Veeam Vanguard

Post by kristofpoppe »

After lowering the security on the share, we were able to map the SMB3 path. I advise to restrict on IP-level the access to the share to have at least some form of security.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Kristof, how much additional security did you had on that share? Giving the computer account read/write access wasn't enough?
MyKey0815
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Michael Kolowicz

[MERGED] Backup Repos on our NAS

Post by MyKey0815 »

We have a licend version von Veeam Backup for MSO365. We want to store our repository to our NAS (Synoligie). I cant access them

Have someone a description how I must configure it. I found https://www.driftar.ch/index.php/2016/1 ... -unc-path/ but they dont work.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Backup Repos on our NAS

Post by Polina »

Hi Michael,

In case of Synology NAS, ensure that you have SMB 3.0, which has a full access for your VBO server (or the VBO proxy, depending on your configuration).

The similar question has already been discussed on Forums, and you may want to review the existing thread for additional information. Thanks!
final
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by final »

Synology NAS have a decent iSCSI support. There's always the option to add an iSCSI target on the NAS and use Windows to connect to that. We're doing it this way.
ejleipold
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Evan Leipold

[MERGED] Veeam Backup for Office 365

Post by ejleipold »

Trialing the Veeam Backup for 365, why is there no ability to select a network share as the backup repository? Seems like a bit of an oversight. Really need to be able to dump the backups on a NAS!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam Backup for Office 365

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Evan,

You should check whether your NAS has SMB 3.0 support, if it does, then you can set it up as a target for VBO.
Please review this thread as it contains useful information. Thanks!
ejleipold
Enthusiast

Post by ejleipold »

Ah cool, thanks mate, I'll take a look.
ejleipold
Enthusiast

Post by ejleipold »

Yeah so, still not able to get it to connect to a QNAP NAS.

I can see my browser connection to the share on the NAS as SMB3.0 (using get-smbconnection in Powershell), but it seems VBO isnt even trying to connect to the share.

When you enter the path to the share (\\192.168.0.7\Veeam_365) it just gives a warning about the folder not existing on the backup proxy (my PC) and if I want to create it.

If I select yes it fails with a Could not find path error and if I click no it gives a validation failed error.

I'm running the VBO service with the same account I use to login to both the VBO console and the QNAP share (which works fine to dump files through Windows Explorer).

Any ideas?
ejleipold
Enthusiast

Post by ejleipold »

Wooo nevermind, fixed it!

Turns out I needed to give the computer account of the VBO pc write access to the share as well.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Evan,

Yes, it actually is stated in the user guide also ;-)

But glad you have it. That is the most important part

Cheers
Mike
ejleipold
Enthusiast

Post by ejleipold » 1 person likes this post

Yeah, I really should RTFM more often :)
snadam
Influencer

Post by snadam »

I apologize for being dense, repeating a question that has been asked and seemingly answered multiple times already. Unfortunately, I'm still not getting it...
Like a previous poster I have a Synology storage array that is configured to present space using NFS and SMB3. It is not configured for iSCSI and since it's already in production the folks I'm working with will not configure it for iSCSI. Therefore I need to get VBO connected to an NFS or SMB share for the backup repository. The Synolgoy is NOT part of the NT AD domain.
What are my options?
If this is a total show stopper, what's in the works for future versions of VBO? Should I buy some time waiting or move to another product?

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi snadam,

We are obviously thinking about different ways to storing the data, but as said, it is a running jet DB so it is not as simple as connecting to some storage and saving the data there. That could lead to very unpleasant issues with the database. In the future we will have more options, but I cannot give you any ETA at this moment I'm afraid. Is there a possibility that you add the local computer account (not the AD one) to the SMB share with read/write rights and get it working? (Haven't tested that to be honest)