Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
wileywimberly
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Wiley Wimberly

The request uses too many resources

Post by wileywimberly »

Hi,

We are seeing "The request uses too many resources." warning on four different SharePoint lists. They warn with the same message on each job run and have not been successfully archived. Our tenant did verify that these are large lists, but did not notice any other commonality.

The warnings appear in the UI as:

[Warning] Processing site https://XXX.sharepoint.com/xxx/xxx finished with warning: Failed to backup list: XXX
XXXX, The request uses too many resources.

and the logs show:

8/28/2018 9:06:49 PM 74 (1580) Server error of type Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException occurred: (-2146232832) The request uses too many resources.
8/28/2018 9:06:49 PM 74 (1580) Error: The request uses too many resources.
8/28/2018 9:06:49 PM 74 (1580) Type: Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerException

Veeam support (case #03166798) suggested the following:
I've done some cursory research on this, and it appears to be related to a limitation on the Microsoft side, possibly with two values: "MaxResourcesPerRequest" and "MaxObjectPaths"
My recommendation is that you reach out to Microsoft Support for assistance on troubleshooting things further.
Unfortunately Office 365 Support is pushing back saying that they can't help with third party applications.

Anyone else seeing this error with large SharePoint lists?

Any suggestions on how to get o365 support to actually check/adjust these settings?

Thanks,
Wiley
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: The request uses too many resources

Post by Mike Resseler »

Wiley,

We are aware of this, and investigating the issue with a few customers that have the same problem. I would like you to open a support call also, it will help us with additional data for the investigation.
Please post the case ID here

Thanks
Mike
wileywimberly
Service Provider

Post by wileywimberly »

Thanks Mike,

The Veeam case number is 03166798.

MS support pointed me to this technet article.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sha ... operation/

They are currently saying that they are unable (or unwilling) to adjust these settings but they are doing more research.
As discussed on the call, MaxResourcesPerRequest and MaxObjectPaths are settings which are set at server end and cannot be changed.

In the below blog it is mentioned that this is a server side settings and cannot be updated in SharePoint Online:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sha ... operation/.

It looks like the tool is using too much of resources when making the Rest API calls. The Veeam Backup tool team needs to understand why the tool is making such long request to servers and they need to make the changes in tool accordingly so that the tool would call less resources in a single request.

The limit cannot be changed however we can try to take the backup of the site in batches or ask the Tool team to optimize the tool to make less requests to server when the tool is taking backup.

Also I am discussing the ticket further and would let you know about any update I receive on the service request. Please give us another 24 hours to research more and let you know about the update.

I appreciate your patience to work with me
At this point, my questions are:

Is the o365 backup process batching requests, or is this error condition the result of a single atomic request as discussed in the technet article?
However, in some cases a single atomic CSOM operation will throw this error. This may happen in case of activating a feature which creates a lot of SPRequest objects or when provisioning a sub site using CSOM/REST.
Is there a way to log the actual request being made and the response from o365?

Thanks for your help,
Wiley
wileywimberly
Service Provider

Post by wileywimberly »

MS support states that they will not increase MaxResourcesPerRequest or MaxObjectPaths since this is a problem with third party software.

Issue Definition:
Can't back up SharePoint sites due to resource limits.

Scope Agreement:
Once we are able to resolve “Can't back up SharePoint sites due to resource limits.” or if we determine that the issue is caused due to a third party interference, product limitation, by design issue or beyond our support boundary we will consider this issue as resolved and ready to be closed.

Summary:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sha ... operation/.
We have discussed the issue with the highest level technical lead and as discussed we would not be able to increase MaxResourcesPerRequest and MaxObjectPaths are settings in SharePoint online.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Wiley,

I will take this information with me and request more information to the DEV teams. I do believe we work in batches but maybe it isn't working as expected. I read that you are talking about 4 sites. Are they always the same sites that fail? (I assume so) and how big are those sites (I assume they have lots of files in the document library?)
wileywimberly
Service Provider

Post by wileywimberly »

Thanks Mike.

The four sites that fail are always the same.

Our tenant confirmed the other day that these are their larger sites. I'll ask about the number of files in the doc library.
wileywimberly
Service Provider

Post by wileywimberly »

The tenant confirmed that they have "a lot" of document files in the four problem sites.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Wiley,

At this moment, our DEVs are investigating the different logs from the customers having the problem. There are trying to understand the root cause what is causing this but the large amount of files probably has something to do with it. Please keep working with support for now and if no progress is made. PM me so I can find a better solution
Javier
Lurker
Full Name: Javier Miro

Post by Javier »

Hello

I have the same error but only fail a "Wiki Page Library", it's very strange, if you have any sollution please publish it.

Regards
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Welcome to the community, Javier!

The fix on the "request uses too many resources" is coming very soon. Please take a minute to open a support case and let the team handle the problem. Thanks!