Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
envercpt
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Enver Hassim

Active Directory Server Backup

Post by envercpt »

Does anyone know whether the Veeam Agent for Windows support backups of Active Directory and if so what functionality is available?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Active Directory Server Backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Active Directory backup is fully supported (Windows 2008 R2 and above). Keep in mind that VAW server edition is required to carefully process AD items and then to perform an application item recovery via Veeam Explorer for Active Directory.
patrick.hayes
Lurker
Full Name: Patrick Hayes

[MERGED] Veeam - Active Directory and System State Backups?

Post by patrick.hayes »

Hello there!

I am trying out the Veeam Agent for Windows (Free), and absolutely love it so far. Servers in environment are Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2, and 2016.

We're in a process of looking to swap out several servers from using Windows Server Backup, on the more basic VMs we have running with specific file backups we want in place.

However, we are looking to see how Veeam can handle Active Directory backups. I know it of course will handle the NTDS and Sysvol folders critical to AD, but as far as being able to do a full restore of a corrupted AD environment, is the VAW capable for this?

In Windows Server Backup, the System State is all that is required. For VAW, I do not see that specifically selected as an option for backups, though I think the term "System State" is differnet as per this article than the actual System State we are asking about backing up in Windows: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21

Any further clarification on this would be greatly appreciated, because if we can 100% verify that Veeam Agent for Windows can be a full 1:1 replacement for Windows Server Backup, we'll likely go that route.

Thank you kindly.
patrick.hayes
Lurker
Full Name: Patrick Hayes

Re: Active Directory Server Backup

Post by patrick.hayes »

I see I've been merged into this! This is great, but I just wanted a yes/no to what was available to the Free version, since some answers are unclear.

Asking again for the full confirmation, but this is a definitive "no" to specifically being able to restore Active Directory from a backup via the Free version?