Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mriksman
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG

Post by mriksman »

Hi,

I only have the Free Windows Agent (although I have the paid subscription for B&R). In order to prevent these error messages and ensure proper backups of these log files, what are my options? Looking at the Veeam logs (from Veeam 1.5), it only performs truncation on databases that are set to FULL (not SIMPLE).

* I'd like to get Veeam to run under a domain account that has sysadmin privledges on the databases in question. How can I make Veeam use anything other than the LOCAL SYSTEM account to perform the backup?
* Add sysadmin to the LOCAL SYSTEM account in SQL Management Studio
* Pay for the Veeam Windows Server license (even though this SQL is running on a Windows 7 OS), just so I can get access to the additional Guest Processing features.

Does that about sum it up? Or are there other alternatives?

Thanks.
mriksman
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG

Post by mriksman »

Oh. Nevermind...

Turns out 1.5 would try and truncate. In which case my queries are valid.

Code: Select all

Cannot truncate SQL logs for database: model. Code = 0x80040e14
 Code meaning = IDispatch error #3092
Source = 
Description = 
OLEDB Error: 'BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.'
OLEDB Error: 'The server principal "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" is not able to access the database "model" under the current security context.'
However, v2 FREE edition doesn't attempt to truncate and so the errors don't occur.

Code: Select all

Checking if need to truncate Sql logs before snapshot for object '2383ebcc-cd83-4060-9add-96c3f2c8f7e6'
Sql log backup is turned off. No need to truncate existing sql logs
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michael,

Truncation is not performed on the workstation operating system and is performed on server’s operating system by default. I believe we have this behavior since v1. By the way, if you are interested in application processing – try VAW server edition. You can get a trial version or an NFR key from our website.
mcbsys
Influencer
Liked: 5 times

Post by mcbsys »

Just installed Free v2 on Server 2016 running SQL 2016. Encountering the same error re. SQL log truncation.

I use SQL Agent to do SQL maintenance including log truncation. I'm happy for the Veeam agent to take a DB snapshot during its backup (you can't have too many backups!), but how do I disable the additional SQL processing? Alternatively, how do I specify Guest Processing credentials as one can do for B&R? https://www.veeam.com/kb1746
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mcbsys.

All the mentioned functionality is available in paid version of the product. Try server edition evaluation license and see if it fits your requirements. Cheers!