Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ba.swht
Novice
Liked: never

Standalone Incremental Backup

Post by ba.swht »

Hello.

Our Veeam creates daily backups of all virtual machines and keeps them for 56 days. We wanted to exclude/copy one specific backup of one VM, so it doesn't get overwritten, and keep it forever this way... (The point is that we have a server that had troubles but now it's fixed. And we want to keep the specific one month old backup (from the time the server was perfectly fine) for a couple of months just in case the troubles will come back.)

So I used Copy Job -> File -> And then I was able to select the specific backup. So I have a copy now in a different location. The backup file the Veeam copied, was an incremental backup.

Now say we will have to use this backup after four months. Will there be any issue, while there won't be any related incremental backups around? Will it be possible to use this backup (incremental) as I am used to even after such a long time?

I've been said that "when you try to copy an incremental backup, backup will collect the required full backup files along with it to make it a complete full backup chain of the VM."

Can you confirm or deny this?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Standalone Incremental Backup

Post by veremin »

The backup file the Veeam copied, was an incremental backup.
There must have been two points created by backup copy job during initial sync - .vbk + .vib. Can you confirm that?

Having those two points should be enough to restore given VM to desired state (whenever need comes).

Thanks.
ba.swht
Novice

Post by ba.swht »

I didn't use Backup Copy but Copy Job and this created .vrb file.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

File Copy Job I guess? So, you copied a single .vrb file and are planning to restore from it, should need be? Having single increment file without files it relies on (.vbk/other .vrbs) won't be sufficient for VM restore. Thanks.
ba.swht
Novice

Post by ba.swht »

Could you please share steps how to achieve what I need?
Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Restore a VM, using desired restore point, back it up, using VeeamZIP functionality; seems to be the easiest option. Thanks.
ba.swht
Novice

Post by ba.swht »

If I manually copy (copy/paste in Windows) .vbk + .vrb files from the Veeam folder to another location, we will be able to use these two files to restore the VM to the desired state?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

You can copy whole backup chain and use it for restoring later, but prior to restore you should import the backup chain.
You cannot copy a full backup .vbk and one of many .vrb files, it will brake the chain. Thanks!
ba.swht
Novice

Post by ba.swht »

I have no experience with Veeam so be patient please.

Are there any considerations using VeeamZIP? We are talking about server... Will it be possible to switch to "old" server without any issue whenever we'll need? We cannot afford any troubles.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

VeeamZIP is designed for immediate initiation of a full VM backup.
You can read additional information in the User Guide. Thanks!
ba.swht
Novice

Post by ba.swht »

What about the function "Restore VM files"?

It will save the files to any location... Will it be possible to restore the VM from these files?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Yes, you can restore Guest files using backup created by VeeamZIP, I hope that answers your question. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What about the function "Restore VM files"?
Having only virtual VM files at hand (such as virtual disk, configuration file, etc.) will potentially affect restoration time. Think about actions needed: locating files on datastore, registering VM, etc.

So my recommendations still stay valid: find necessary restore point, execute Instant VM recovery (VM is started directly from a backup file; so, the restore should take too long), backup instantly recovered VM, using VeeamZIP functionality.

Thanks.