Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
lv-426
Novice
Liked: never

Can you merge file level backups from different computers?

Post by lv-426 »

I'll try to explain myself better than the title as Iwasn't sure how to phrase this...

I have been backing up my pictures folder on C:\ to my external hard drive G:\. When I first started doing the backups I was using a different computer. So I have one backup called G:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job DESKTOP-C2Q123. A few months ago I got a new computer and now I have a second backup folder now called G:\VeeamBackup\Backup Job DESKTOP-I5K123. Is there a way to merge the old files to the new backup, or maybe just compare any changes and then just delete the old files?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Can you merge file level backups from different computer

Post by DGrinev »

Hi and welcome to the community!

The Agent for Windows doesn't have an option to merge two different backup chains.
You can restore the old backup on the new computer and include those files and folders in the scope of new backup. Thanks!
lv-426
Novice

Post by lv-426 »

Hey thanks for your reply. I already have the pictures folder automatically backing up again at midnight. Should I just delete the old backup since I can't merge them. Before I do that, is there a way to compare them and verify the files?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hey,

There is no comparison tool, but you can restore the old backup to a new location and copy all pictures to the current Picture folder without allowing to overwrite similar files. Thanks!
lv-426
Novice

Post by lv-426 »

I see. Well in this case I don't need to do this because my current backup already has those pictures + newer ones.

If I did need to restore an unconnected old backup I assume the proper way to restore would be opening the .vbm > choosing latest restore point > copy to.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Yes, you can start by opening .vbm or .vbk.
Please review the article in the User Guide for additional information. Thanks!