Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Run a failover test with re-IP?

Post by unsichtbarre »

Hi guys!

I was just wondering about running non-disruptive failover tests in Veeam (Run Failover - View & TestVM in VMRC - Undo failover) with re-IP set on the job?
  • Is there a way to temporarily disable re-IP when running failover?
    Is there a a way to specify disconnected networking when running a failover?
Mostly, I am concerned that the VM boots correctly (not blue/purple screen) and can talk to other VMs that are part of the same failover plan. In a VMware environment, I can also look for successful start of the VMware tools.
  • Without re-P, this is no problem, because the VMs will boot into an effective "bubble" with no access to the gateway at the DR site.
    With re-IP, the VMs will automatically become part of the DR network and AD trust issues + DNC conflicts would immediately occur.
What's the best way to run a non-disruptive test with Veeam and re-IP?
THX
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Re: Run a failover test with re-IP?

Post by bdufour »

hey john,
yes, if you select deploy to a diff location or with new settings - you can disconnect the network. i use this option to get an idea of how long it will take to recover a particular VM (RTO) outside of just using surebackup to test the VM.

if this is a replica - just disconnect the network adapter through vsphere before powering on the VM.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre »

Replica/failover.
No option for: deploy to a diff location

Problem is: yes, I can use the vSphere client to disconnect networking, but I can not use a Veeam failover plan.

THX
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

imo you will need to create a separate network/vlan and everything on the vmwares side (virtual switch, port groups, vmkernals) to run all of the replicas on at the dr site for testing. i dont see any other way to accomplish this if you want the vms to talk to each other in a test environment.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi John,

This looks like a job for SureReplica, have you considered using that?

Thanks